CMI or AMP rope grabs. please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
voxac30dude

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
im gonna buy a second rope grab and it needs to be cheap. dont have the money for a petzl. i cant decide between AMP or CMI becuase i dont know whitch one is a better more reputable company. the CMI has a lower(16kn) break strength then the AMP(5,400lbs). i know CMI is more known then amp so it's a toss up between higher breaking strength or a more reputable brand. please help me!

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
What are you using it for?

I have been using the same US Standard flip line adjuster sold by Wesspur for 4 or 5 years now without any problems. You can find it here: http://wesspur.com/fliplines/mechanical-adjusters.html

To tell the truth though, The CMI sounds like a better deal. Petzl makes some great stuff but they are expensive. I buy some of their stuff but some items I go the more economical route.

EDIT: Correction, I meant the AMP sounds like a better deal.

Last edited:
voxac30dude

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
What are you using it for?

I have been using the same US Standard flip line adjuster sold by Wesspur for 4 or 5 years now without any problems. You can find it here: http://wesspur.com/fliplines/mechanical-adjusters.html

To tell the truth though, The CMI sounds like a better deal. Petzl makes some great stuff but they are expensive. I buy some of their stuff but some items I go the more economical route.

EDIT: Correction, I meant the AMP sounds like a better deal.

it will be used on my dirty tree setup for those really sappy tree's and as a second flipline adjuster becuase i like to use 2 flips and a climb line when working down a spar.

Last edited:
pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
You might consider a prussic cord, tied on with a VT, distel, or the knot of your preference. Given a decent micro-pulley to tend the line, I think they are much more controllable than any rope grab, and they are certainly cheaper and lighter.

Generally, they are much easier to add or remove, also.

voxac30dude

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
i just stumbled across this guy. i think i might give it a try. it says it has the highest breaking strength out of any oft the flipline adjusters out there.
asc154-500.gif

bigchuck

bigchuck

Mostly a lurker
I have the Amp (Puma II). It works pretty well, but know, it is HUGE compared to a Petzl, or most of the other models. Maybe not a big deal, but I was surprised when I pulled it out of the box, and it still looks funny to me.

Also, I would tend to agree with the post above, about using a hitch with a tending pulley, except in this case. When I use my mechanical adjuster, I miss the ability to let out slack with the line weighted. However, the original post indicated that this would be for a dirty tree set up. Where a bit of sap can quickly and permanently gum up an eye-and-eye, a bit of cleaning will bring a mechanical right back to new.