CO detectors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:blob2:

Do you have them installed?
And, what would you look for in a co detector? Anything special? Recommendations?

Found this 6pack deal for 99$, I can easily find friends who will join in on the purchase. Whadaya thunk?

SA

Yes, we have three, one in the stove room, one in the basement, and one in the bathroom that is the shortest run from the NG furnace. Mine are just purchased from the Lowe's, nothing special. $99 for six doesn't sound that bad at all. CO detectors need to be replaced every few years as they become less effective with age.

get 1 with a digital readout otherwise u cant tell if its working & mfr. will tell u to replace it on schedule= BS. I have an old kiddie-nighthawke which i test with cigarette smoke & it reads like 35ppm. non digital in the past i tested by exposing it to car exhaust until it beeped=HASSLE!
i also test mY smoke aLARMS WITH CIGS cause i dont trust the test button

Great question! Start by checking what your rules and regulations require. It makes no sense to spend money on a detector if it doesn't meet the code. With that being said, I suggest you get a unit that is AC powered with a battery back-up. I also will second the suggestion to get one with a display..it will save a lot of hassles later on. Stick with the name brands and you should have no problems. Like smoke detectors, CO detectors have about a 10 year life expectancy....although they sometimes just go bad. I had one the other day that had failed after only 2 years...the first time I've seen that happen in about 8 years.

Last edited:
Darin
The Big Kahuna

TO ALL: After reading much of the information provided by Pook above, it seems to be misinformed and even dangerous in some cases. Please disregard any posts made by him before this post. I have informed him and will inform you all, if you are giving out bad information knowingly you will be banned from this site and if somebody gets hurt by your poor information, you could be personally liable. This could include jail time or be at the very least financially liable. You are personally liable for anything you say on here or any other website!!! Since there seems to be so many posts with poor/dangerous information, I feel it has to be on purpose as nobody can believe many of the things that have been said, which includes the poster.
Thanks!!! Have a Happy, warm Holiday to everyone!! Also, Thanks to all that try to help others on here and have a genuine interest in making this a site full of good/useful information.

Other things to check out.
Google Map.
Arboristsite Facebook Fan Club
Tweet Arboristsite

:blob2:

Do you have them installed?
And, what would you look for in a co detector? Anything special? Recommendations?

IMO battery units are better than nothing but for me you should install at least one hard wired unit outside of the bedrooms. People fail to change the batteries or worse remove them altogether which leaves you with no protection at all.

IMO battery units are better than nothing but for me you should install at least one hard wired unit outside of the bedrooms. People fail to change the batteries or worse remove them altogether which leaves you with no protection at all.
methinx CO detector eats up batteries more than smoke detector but not sure. plug in digital with battery backup is what I have

methinx CO detector eats up batteries more than smoke detector but not sure. plug in digital with battery backup is what I have

TO ALL: After reading much of the information provided by Pook above, it seems to be misinformed and even dangerous in some cases. Please disregard any posts made by him before this post. I have informed him and will inform you all, if you are giving out bad information knowingly you will be banned from this site and if somebody gets hurt by your poor information, you could be personally liable. This could include jail time or be at the very least financially liable. You are personally liable for anything you say on here or any other website!!! Since there seems to be so many posts with poor/dangerous information, I feel it has to be on purpose as nobody can believe many of the things that have been said, which includes the poster.
Thanks!!! Have a Happy, warm Holiday to everyone!! Also, Thanks to all that try to help others on here and have a genuine interest in making this a site full of good/useful information.

Other things to check out.
Google Map.
Arboristsite Facebook Fan Club
Tweet Arboristsite

Latest posts

Back