Co dominant trunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKamp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there guys,
I have done some reading to try and figure out what to do with this tree while it is still on the younger side. We just moved in and we have a willow oak with 3 stems growing. I want to make correcting cuts before it gets huge and problematic! The smallest stem is an easy removal but what should I do with the other two?

I have read under 4” diameter is ok to remove and that I should not remove more than 25% of the canopy in 1 year. I am thinking I need to top one stem this year and remove it next. Is this an OK plan and what stem should be removed? OR should both main stems be left? I imagine it would be decades before it becomes a real issue.

Thank you!

Attachments

• B79B0C0C-3A7F-467C-BCE3-A605FDCE1C9B.jpeg
    B79B0C0C-3A7F-467C-BCE3-A605FDCE1C9B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 8C84FA92-6D7F-47BF-A77E-78C0CB653532.jpeg
    8C84FA92-6D7F-47BF-A77E-78C0CB653532.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 3544554D-D842-46F8-AF56-4F36426D8EE7.jpeg
    3544554D-D842-46F8-AF56-4F36426D8EE7.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 11
I will probably just cut both of them now.... Well not right now. I would wait till October to do it to lower the risk of oak wilt. If you are in an oakwood area do NOT do anything with it now.

Option B: Just before bud break next spring cut the whole thing flush to the ground. It will resprout probably with multiple stems. After one year cut all but the straightest stem. In two years it will be as tall as it is now. In three to four years it will probably be taller with the same diameter that you are seeing on the main trunk now.

I will probably just cut both of them now.... Well not right now. I would wait till October to do it to lower the risk of oak wilt. If you are in an oakwood area do NOT do anything with it now.

Option B: Just before bud break next spring cut the whole thing flush to the ground. It will resprout probably with multiple stems. After one year cut all but the straightest stem. In two years it will be as tall as it is now. In three to four years it will probably be taller with the same diameter that you are seeing on the main trunk now.
Thanks guys! Sounds like I was on the right track with what to do but didn’t know oak wilt was dependent on time of the year! I am
In central NC with a pretty heavy oak presence on my property and nearby. All of them are healthy but safe to say there is risk and should wait until the weather cools off?

Back