Code of ethics?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A code of ethics would probably be a combination of the A-300 standards, Z-133 standards, and a code of ethics that would be similar to ones that can be found in some of the trade associations. A new organization would probably be needed for administration. It would be an awesome thing to see a code and to see it enforced. It would raise the Professionals up and put most of the hackers out.
Eric

Yes. A code of ethics would put a different spin on the arborculture world. You might find that ASCA Standards of Professional Practice come close to what you are looking for. (see http://www.asca-consultants.org/arborist.html)

It's a complex part of that legal world where attorneys make their living. Some ASCA members recently discussed the inticacies of set up, administration, enforcement, and insurance to cover everybodiies' exposure to the vendetta of the nut who needs to be disciplined. That's the best I can do for a synopsis.

So the consultants have an organization and a SPP. To address those same/similar issues for the larger arboricultural world might be done by an already existing entity - ISA or NAA. In fact, doesn't the ISA Arb. Cert. pgm already have a sign off on a code?

Sure. Everybody wants an enforcement arm -- the Clint Eastwood w/ a 357 Magnum to bring our competitor across town to his knees when he prunes a tree more severely than we would -- okay, he topped it. But all the realistic discussions I've seen come down to Mr. Eastwood going to jail and I get jail time plus a hefty fine for hiring him -- but the more practical (and long-range effective) way to get results is to get my competitor involved in the same arena/classes/organizations/meetings/bulletinboards I participate in. It's healthier and cheaper for everybody!

Oops! I went long-winded, again!

No it is not a medical field, however, those of us who consider ourselves to be Professionals most likely already have a Code of Ethics which we adhere to, whether they are written down or not. Most Trades Professionals (Plumbers, electricians, etc) will also have official Codes of Ethics. I believe that a concrete Code of Ethics that are used as a standard throughout any industry is good.

Alan

The state of Maryland requires all tree service co.s to be licensed, take a test, and calls them Licensed Tree care Experts(which i don't agree with). Anyway they have started to enforce their laws against co's topping and climbing with spikes by fining them and suspending their license. They just jailed one guy for repeated violations and not paying his fine. So it can be done. Check out The Dept of natural Resources (MD) in the press release part and they mention a few cases against arborists...i mean butchers!
I do remember the ISA having a code of ethics that you were supposed to sign and return with your dues a couple years ago?

Dmk395 is so very right. Arborists sure don't need a code of ethics if we want to be lower on the totem pole than even the medical field. Though my peers and I certainly would not want to stoop that low!

With all the yapping lately, it's funny that one of the first three threads on this site was about...

ETHICS.

Small world, eh?

ISA's Board Certified Master Arborists have 13 pages of an ethics statement and enforcement procedure. I think ISA has been listening to flak about certified arborists screwing up so they went all out on this one.

My unfavorite part---"BCMA's have a responsibility and commitment to refrain from any public behavior that is clearly in violation of accepted MORAL , professional, SOCIAL and legal standards." What the heck is a social standard?

ASCA's SPP and Ethics are good to follow. I was at their Academy in 96 when the draft version was approved. Even tho I never joined (next $770.00 I get, I keep telling myself), I follow them.

Anyone have any issues with this code below?
ISA members will:

Strive for continuous self-development by increasing their qualifications and technical proficiency by staying abreast of technological and scientific developments affecting the profession.

Not misuse or omit material facts in promoting technical information, products or services if the effect would be to mislead or misrepresent.

Hold paramount the safety and health of all people and endeavor to protect property and the environment in the performance of professional responsibilities. [This is the key part imo]

Subscribe to fair and honest business practices in dealing with clients, suppliers, employees and other professionals.

Support the improvement of professional services and products through encouraging research and development.

Observe the standards and promote adherence to the ethics embodied in this Code.

Originally posted by Toddppm
The state of Maryland requires all tree service co.s to be licensed, take a test, and calls them Licensed Tree care Experts(which i don't agree with). Anyway they have started to enforce their laws against co's topping and climbing with spikes by fining them and suspending their license.

i think this is a great idea well done to the state of Maryland..overhere it's like the wild west ,tree cos can do what the hell they or the owner wants to a tree as long as the tree isn't subject to a preservation order

im all for customers [or better arborists acting as agents] applying for permission for tree work and i think authoritys should insist on all work be carried out to the national standard overhere this would be british prunning sandards 3998..and fine as in Maryland those who flout the law..as for a code of ethics don't ever think this will happen,can't think of any trades overhere exept legal or medical that are governed by a code of ethics

i would like to see all trades overhere be licensed and take an exam ,show insurance ie meet various requiremants before a license is granted..weve got to many rogue traders here

though i again can't see this happening as afew weeks ago the govermant announced that a 'black economy ' is good for the country aparently according to Tony and crew it creates entrepreneurs and not half hearted spongers as i always thought :D

P.S with the state of maryland licensing thing i would prefer to see all licensees be qualified allready ..but then if there in-house test is fairly good and covers a lot of moden arboriculture practices etc then good luck to those who pass i know lots of un-qualified tree men who know considerably more about tree bioligy than many guys who are certified etc

Last edited:
Back