cold weather chipper ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For those of you who work in colder climates, what steps do you take to make starting the chipper in the morning easier? A bunch of people around here are having problems lately with the cold temps (teens) getting their chippers to start.

We always used block heaters, Put on a timer so it comes on about 3 hours before starting the diesel. Starts just like summer. Had best luck with block heaters that go in one of the freeze plugs holes. We buy them for around $35 each.

At work, we have Brush Bandit Model 90's. Those are diesel as well and I know they shoot ethier(?) in to the air cleaner, then it usually fires up after that. Course if you don't have no gas in it thats not going to work either.

I'd stay away from the either idea, atleast on the diesels. My vermeer with a turbo perkins has glow-plugs thus they say no either. It was 2 here the other day and she cranked right up after no start for 3 days prior. I'd suggest the block heater also.

Latest posts

Back