Colonized bugs in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found some colonies of some type of flying insect. I have found them in my cedar, elm and pecan trees.
They start out as a "nymph" type insect and grow to an insect with wings. The nymph looks similar to a dwarf pill bug in looks only. They do not have a hard outer covering. They stay together in a group and there are several groups in each tree.
Not much help am I.
I am in the south zone 9.

They have now grown up and flew away. To another tree I imagine to lay some eggs or something. I sprayed the colonies with some pesticide and it killed the ones that were late leaving. I guess I just need to keep an eye on it next spring and get out the camera with the pesticide.
They were very interesting.

Dead Tree

One of my "old" pecan trees is not leafing out. So I guess it's dead. I noticed those bugs in a group on the tree. Just a small colony about as big around as a soccer ball. Is there really a saw fly? By these bugs is a part of the tree that looks like it has been cut in a circle. Are there any type bugs that would eat out part of the tree?:blob2: :alien:

For evry part there is a feeder. Depends on the health of the plant and it's ability to resist.

Saw fly have a neat cattapilar like larva that will rear up when startled. They are a leaf feader.

Back