columnar maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.

Reaction score
We have had some trees planted in our yard by a landscaper that we have known for many years. He has been landscaping/growing trees his whole life as his Dad did before him. We have an area beside our deck that required something tall, but not overly wide for privacy from our neighbour. He has put in a Columnar Maple... it has green leaves and is about 12 feet tall right now. It is lovely and we adore it. BUT our neighbour has voiced concerns (he loves the tree as well) over how close it is planted to the house. It is about 3 feet from the wall of our home. We live in Ontario Canada and our basement is used. OUr weeping tile at the back of the house only goes down three feet. Are the roots going to be a problem? I did ask the landscaper about planting a tree so close, but originally we were talking about an Ivory Silk Lilac there... he said no problem. But now I am not so sure, expeically since we changed it to a Columnar Maple??? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. The tree was only put in two days ago and is still needing to be staked.. I believe everyone is returning to complete the work tomorrow. DID WE MAKE A BIG MISTAKE? We certainly don't want water issues a few years down the line.

Thank-you kindly.

Do you know which cultivar of columnar maple? Some have larger surface roots then others. I would also have concerns about the width of the crown. Most columnar maples have a crown of 15' to 25' at maturity.

Newt

Yes, I do need to find out the exact type it is. We were told that it would get any wider (same width top to bottom) that about 4-5 feet. Not sure if that helps?

There are small new branches starting from the middle of the tree and the bottom, was told to leave these if desired and it will fill out evenly from top to bottom. Now only about 1 1/2-2 feet wide (leaves) from middle to top of tree.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back