Columnar Norway Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonMC

Reaction score
I had eight (8) columnar Norway Spruce trees planted in my yard (Lincoln, NE) a couple of years ago (Spring 2014). They are all about 8 to 10 feet tall and seemed to be doing pretty well. Recently 1 of the trees had started to lose some of the needles at the bottom of the tree. In reading online it looked like that may be normal, but that I could trim back the dead branches. I did. About 1 month ago the needles started to fall off the tree more rapidly. And in the last week just about all the needles are gone off one tree.

I know it looks like that tree is a goner, but now I am concerned about the other trees. A couple have lost some needles at the bottom and I don't want those trees to go down the same path as my dead one. Has anyone else had a issues like this come up? Any recommendations o preventing the trees from dying? I know these are supposed to be hardy trees (at least thats what I was told).

Thanks in advance.

Your trees could be infected with spruce aphid or needlecast fungus, both of which (and can be difficult to differentiate) will defoliate a tree. However, the tree can recover the next spring.

Or it could be a root issue.

Getting someone onsite to do an assessment will be your best solution. Make sure the person you hire to do the assessment is qualified to diagnose tree issues and isn't just a removal salesman.

You can also go to the ASCA (American Society of Consulting Arborists) for a list of arborists in your area.

Yeah. I spent some time trying to get a link on about needlecast. Finally just gave up.
Do you have sprinklers spraying in the bottoms of your trees?

No. I don't have underground sprinklers. When I water the trees, I typically use a soaker hose. I try to water about once per week unless we have had rain.

Latest posts

Back