Coming out of retirement......Maybe.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinAZ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I used to climb many years ago, but got out of it do to an accident the broke my right hip and nearly severed my right leg at the knee.

After helping a friend trim back his mulberry trees, I was asked by a passerby to look at some more. Needless to say these trees are bucket territory as they are standing dead and have been for a few years. I am looking at a smaller 1 ton bucket truck with a 30' boom. It would fit about 97% of the area here and most of the trees needing taken down are under 40'. I know it is not a "true" bucket truck but it what I can afford right now until I get some money put away.

Most of what will be removed is dead standing mulberry and cottonwood with a few rather large mesquite thrown in.

I have more than a few books on the way to try and catch up on the advances in tree removal since I "hobbled" off in 2000.

Any advice?

Age means a lot. I retired last November, turned 60 in March. Took down two small Hemlocks for my MIL yesterday. I could still work if I had to, don't have to, no way I plan on going back. Too many fish to catch and deer to chase, Joe.

My uncle retired from tree surgery at 58 with hip issues. I'm planning on retiring in about 20 years and that's in good health... I don't know if this sounds safe after such an accident to be honest - unless, as in the post above, you are familiar enough with standing dead.

Latest posts

Back