Comments on rod bearing install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooterbum

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay here's what I think.I've tore down my 011AV to replace the rings and crank seals.
When I pulled the cylinder all these cute little S.O.B. bearings come running out.After looking at it for awhile,I realize there's NOT supposed to be a cage.Do I just load the bearings and hold them in with grease and slide the rod over?
Is there anything I may be missing?
I'm used to old Harleys with split cages for this stuff.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks Steve

Wow! That's a new one on me. I haven't rebuilt a lot of saws, but am used to having a cage on all bearings. Is this on the big end or the little end? If you put the bearings in the rod, do they completely cover the circumference?

It's on the crank side.The rod is one piece.So it's the only way I can see that makes sense to me.
Maybe I've just been staring at it too.... long.

I think I'm just going to go work on my bike for awhile...............

you're on the right track. I use grease to hold them in place then slide the rod over them. stihl has a tool that clamps around them, keeps this from happening. make sure you have them all in before re-assembly
-Ralph

Clean everything real good and put a thin film of vaseline on the crank and each roller, the vaeline will hold the rollers to the crank. Carefully slide the rod over the bearings. This is the biggest p.i.t.a. when working on an 009,010,011,012, it's a side effect of a one peice crank.

Latest posts

Back