compact tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

topnotchtree

Do any of you guys use a compact tractor on your jobsites? I am thinking that a smaller tractor with a loader would be a great asset to the equipment list. I realize they are not as tough as say a skidster, but I don't think they will tear up the lawns as much. Do any of you have any experience with the tractor mounted PTO stump grinders? I have seen the grapple grabber things that mount to the rear of the tractors for skidding logs and had an idea. Make something similar to the lift poles that mount to the 3 point that you can get at any tractor supply stores, only a bit shorter, and attach a set of lifting or skidding tongs to the end of it. For log lengths you could weld like an up-side-down vee to the bottom of your pole near the tractor. Back up to the log and drop the boom to pick it up with the tongs. The end of the log should settle in the vee and the whole log would be picked up off the ground. Does this sound like it would work? The size of log you could move would depend on the size of the tractor.

Another option with some of the new utility tractors, like Deere, is the loader accept quick disconnect attachments. The bucket is just an attachment that can swapped out for pallet forks in less than 60 seconds. I've found the forks to be one of those things that "you don't know how you ever got along without them".

I agree totally about your assessment of turf damage of skid-steers. On the other hand, they are much more compact. That said, I wouldn't give up the versatility of the tractor.

Having used both, I'd have to say skid steers suck compared to a compact tractor (not a sub-compact). I've driven on lawns w/ a kubota and Ag tires and not left a foorprint. Skidsteer would have torn it up doing the same stuff. Tractors tend to be better balanced, have much more gound clearance, and can be just as powerful as a skidsteer w/ an engine twice the size.

Do you guys have any imput of my thought up homemade log lifting attachment?

The design sounds reasonable. With enough horses (I would think 40-50) and adequate front ballast, I would expect you could handle 8' logs in the 1000-1500 lbs range. That's just a guess based on my experience with rear mounted implements on a 44hp tractor. For example, my heavy duty brush mower weighs 900 lbs and extends 6 1/2 feet off the back of the 3-point, and can be easily elevated off the ground.

Or how about a brush/root grapple on the front loader. That would make picking up logs and loading them pretty low impact.

Newfie said:
Or how about a brush/root grapple on the front loader. That would make picking up logs and loading them pretty low impact.

Here is a pic of John Deere's 4N1 combination bucket/grapple.

attachment.php

You mean something like this? I pulled the tree over with the winch on the back. Then I can move trees and logs with the tongs without getting off the tractor.

I think you'll need a good sized tractor to pick up much. I use a boom alongwith short cable with the tongs and I can drag a medium sized log with my ford 8N(23 hp). My JD 4010(90hp has 4020 pistons) will pick up a ton. Your idea is out there I just cant think of the site where I've seen em. I'll search and post back. One idea is a regular boom alongwith the tongs and use a "dolly for the other end of tree something with lg flotation tires. This way your not skidding and a 50hp tractor should pick up one end of log pretty easily even if its a monster.

But can the tractor fit through a 36 inch gate? I just got a Prowler mini skid with a 4/1 bucket, trencher, pallet forks, tow hitch, rippers, lifting boom, and a grapple and stump grinder attachment is in transit. The Prowler is a track unit and it is ok on grass if you don't make turns. It will definitely rip up the lawn if you make a turn with it. One guy I know uses plyboards for his turn around area. I would invest in something like those rubber mats that I saw at a trade show, alturna or something like that. I like the Gehl Advantage loader, but it is about 41 inches wide. I really need something that can fit through a 36 inch gate. The Prowler has a variable track, you can adjust the width from 34 to 43.5 inches by moving a lever. These mini loaders have a surprising amount of power for their size.

im really thinking about a dingo loader,they dont screw the place up, manouverable 4 in 1

Yes Tom, kinda like that, only I visioned holding the tongs with a short boom out the back of the tractor mounted to the three point. When you get the log where you want it, can you just lower the tongs to release the log? Or would you have to get off the tractor and loosen the tongs off the log?

I used those lifting tongs quite a bit when I had my Altec material handler bucket. You do need to manually loosen the tongs. This is the grapple I have in transit for the mini skid. Opens up to 42 inches wide, hydraulic power. Check out their pictures of it in use.
http://www.topnotchequipment.com/

I just spent the day today moving logs around. When you put the log down, just hit the top of them with the bucket and they will usually pop off. I moved logs for 4 hours and had to get off the tractor twice to remove the tongs. I use the chain so the ring on the tongs hits the bucket when I roll it back, so I can turn the tongs 90 degrees to line up with the log just buy rolling the bucket back and forth. It's such a handy setup, I seldom drag trees or log very far with the cable on the winch. It's easier to grab them with the tongs and drag them to one spot and hook up to the winch there. I'm surprised at how big a tree I can pick up with the bucket. I've seen pictures of the setup you're talking about off the 3 point hitch but have no experience with it. If I'm dragging logs very far I usually want to pull a half-dozen or so.

tawilson said:
I just spent the day today moving logs around. When you put the log down, just hit the top of them with the bucket and they will usually pop off. I moved logs for 4 hours and had to get off the tractor twice to remove the tongs.

I must be missing something or perhaps it's because I'm using bigger tongs with bigger logs. I've used a setup almost identical to yours and the tongs never "pop off". The same physics that cause the tongs to automatically grab the log don't seem to understand the difference between pickup an dropoff.

Is there some technique you're using (perhaps I just didn't read closely) that you use to get the tongs to release so they can be lifted off?

Thanks,

Joe

It does work better with my smaller tongs than the bigger ones, but once I set the log down I drive ahead a little more and lower the bucket so the tongs lay over on the log a bit, then hit the ring on the tongs with the bottom lip of the bucket and usually that causes the points of the tongs to pop out. It doesn't work every time first time, and I have to play with it a little, but it's still better (to me anyways) than having to get on and off the tractor. Many times the tongs will bounce to the side of the log, or sometimes I just drive ahead a little more and they will slip off. I may not be explaining it well. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks Tom,

I'll have to play with it some more myself, and employ a little more patience (not my strong suit). Most of the stuff I work with is 20-30", but maybe that just means I have to hone my technique a little more.

Lately, I have been relying more on loader mounted pallet forks, but with heavier logs that is not always the ideal solution either.

Joe

Joe,
Like I said, it doesn't seem to work as well with the bigger stuff. Not sure why, the tongs are set up a little different. Even so, I still prefer it to getting off the tractor. Oh I just remembered, the bigger tongs took some adjusting. They closed up too much and didn't want to slip around the bigger logs. I welded a nut to them like a stop so they don't close all the way. I'll take some pics of them also tomorrow. I definitely need to get a set of forks. I think I'll just get something to attach to the bucket as it is not a quick attach. I don't need anything heavy duty, I just want to be able to pick up slabs and lumber without having to handle it (or get off the tractor, I hate getting off the tractor).

I've got a 40hp new holland TC40D with a new holland loader and a LONG grapple bucket (NOT a clamshell but an acutal grapple) and can pick up fairly large stuff with it. Put on a set of forks and its a different animal, I've been loading yellow pine sawlogs with it all day today and have been picking up logs up to 22'' on the small end by 12'6'' long with no trouble. Any bigger than that and I start droping the length back to 10'6'' or 8'6''. I would look at Deere or Kubota before I would buy another new holland though as I think the quality is better. I have a '04 Kubota M8200 (82hp) with a quicke Q750 loader and that thing can LITTERALLY pick up my wifes S10 4x4 blazer!!!

Latest posts

Back