Comparing Fiskars 2.25 lb and 4.25lb Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This year I switched from my old regular 8lb maul to a True Temper 4lb maul. Seems to provide similar results with less effort (measured by upper body pain and suffering). No complaints, other than it seems to get stuck harder and more often.

So I'm getting convinced that the "speed means more that mass" theory is true for splitting. Energy = 1/2 (mass) x (velocity squared). So while doubling the mass doubles the energy, doubling the speed increased energy by a factor of 4.

I'm looking to get one of the Fiskars splitters that people seem to like, but I'm debating between the 2 1/4 lb (model 7859) and the 4 1/4lb (model 7854). Both have 28" handles, seems the only difference is the head weight and shape.

Anyone compared the two? Is the 2 1/4 lb maul really enough for effective splitting?

Cost is about $10 more for the 4 1/4 lb'er, but I'm sure I'd quickly forget about that if it splits better...

Any comparative advice is appreciated! I know the Fiskars splitters have been discussed extensively, but I haven't found a comparison of the two 28" versions.

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...ategoryId=10277&productId=10529&page=products

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...ategoryId=10277&productId=10528&page=products

This year I switched from my old regular 8lb maul to a True Temper 4lb maul. Seems to provide similar results with less effort (measured by upper body pain and suffering). No complaints, other than it seems to get stuck harder and more often.

So I'm getting convinced that the "speed means more that mass" theory is true for splitting. Energy = 1/2 (mass) x (velocity squared). So while doubling the mass doubles the energy, doubling the speed increased energy by a factor of 4.

I think it all will depend on how much more speed you can give that 2.25lb maul. Remember that you probobly will loose control, accuracy, and increase risk for miss hits and injuries, with increased speed.
I'm little older and I don't think I want to play that game.....

This is the same problem as on the golfcourse. When you get older and your body dont have the speed, you do better with a heavier clubhead, hit longer shots and more accurate.

There is also a differens in shape of the heads, between these two alternatives....the 2.25lb one, have a wider head than the 4.25lb one. That will mean that the 2.25lb head will touch more wood and that will increase the friction. The wider head will therefore not penetrate the log as deep as the 4.25, even if you give them both identical "swing energy".

I have looked at this 2.25 lb maul at the store, and I do not like it, compaired to the 4.25lb one.

My advice is that you get the 4.25lb maul.......it will pay off instantly.
Good Luck!

btw....ace hardware (in my home town) have them on sale just now....10$ off the price...

The 2-1/4 pound will amaze you.

Until you try the 4-1/4 pounder.

I have more control with the heavier one, but I'm not sure how much is tool design and how much was "practice" with the smaller one before I bought the big one. It may very well be the extra weight and narrower face(?) means the Super Split drives into the wood more easily rather then getting deflected or peeling off a narrow outside chunk and then trying to take out your shin.

Remember that you use and up-down stroke instead of over-the-shoulder, chopping block is pretty much mandatory to avoid taking off your toes, and steel toed boots are highly recommended.

I have all 4 sizes of fiskars axes. The 28" 2# axe sits by the stove and I use it for kindling. I have tried it for splitting rounds, it works. Nothing like the 4# maul though. I can certainly swing the 2# maul faster, either not fast enough to make up the weight difference or the head shape is more important than weight.

I own an ACE hardware store, we have 12 of the 4# in stock, and they are on sale.

Get both if you can...

I've used both extensively. I'm pretty lucky, I split mostly straight grained red oak, red maple, paper birch, and hophornbeam (ironwood), 4"-14", 50/50 dead vs live cut- nothing too big or difficult. I use the 2.25lb for about 70% and the 4lb for the rest. The 2lb DOES require about 25% more strikes but is far easier on my body and my chronic tendonitis. For me, it's a worthwhile trade-off. That said, If you must get only one, the 4lb is AMAZING- this is the must have splitter. I use the 4lb on crotch pieces, knotty stuff, sugar maple, and an occasional 16"+ red oak round. I literally never use my 6lb old-school maul anymore, and I just gave it away in fact.

Note: Below freezing, I use the 2lb on almost all of my live cut rounds, it's just so easy when they're frozen.

The pic shows about 5-6 cords that I split with my Fiskars in about 2/3 the time of my old mauls.

Bottom line: Get the 4lb but the 2lb is pretty awesome too!

Cheers
Chris

I get the feeling that the 4# is for splitting while the 2# is more for chopping. I just switched from a 9# maul to the 4# fiskars super splitter. It feels light as a feather.

The 2# one seems more like a "regular" single bit axe to me, maybe for kindling, but not for regular splitting.

Thanks...4lb it is...for now

Wow...thanks for the thoughtful advice...you guys are great...as always!

Looks like I'll get the 4 Lb'er for now, but the wood geek in me wants to get both. Maybe the smaller one next year...?

I'm looking forward to a precisely design instrument, instead of the brute force sharpened sledge hammer I grew up with!

Sounds from these and all the previous comments that the Fiskars is the state of the art in hand wood splitting? Haven't seen anything else nearly as elegant...

Sounds from these and all the previous comments that the Fiskars is the state of the art in hand wood splitting? Haven't seen anything else nearly as elegant...

The Fins, for sure, know about design... :agree2: ...is it comparable to the Operahouse in Sidney (Danish design)?? But I bet the steel is Swedish.....Svenskt stål biter.....:bowdown:

Last edited:
Wonder why "PRO"..?

Seems like the general consensus is the 4 #'er is the splitter of choice overall, at least from the professionals here.

I wonder why they call the 2 #'er the "PRO Splitter"? Is there some competition or some other reason to think this is a Pro model? Or did they just need another name? Seems like with how deliberate their designs are, they would be careful about what name they choose? Just curious...

Hmmm...oh well....still getting the 4 #'er. Can't find one locally, so Amazon to the rescue...

Heavy Fuel has them both. The smaller one will probably work better in wood that only needs to be split once. The larger one works better on the larger wood. The smaller one will also work well as an axe also.

Latest posts

Back