Hitachi 32 cc Top Handle Chainsaw - 159

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone can say whatever they want about these saws but unless they personally own one its a bunch of bull, i bought one about a month ago on ebay and it is what you pay for i didn't expect it to be a saw used for much more the small trail work. it is not commercial quality but for just playin around with it is perfect, i have 2 husky 262s and a jonsered 625 and i was impressed with this little saw, when i first bought it a cut about a 8 inch maple with no bogging problems at all, it is great for around the camp and got much use building the camp cutting logs and bords.

it doesn't matter if your tanaka or hitachi or whatever is slagged off as a gutless pile of garbage, so ****** what, lots of turkeys around here get wound up and start peeing there pants when you tell them their stinking noisy chainsaw is a heap of shlt, but for anyone laid back it's as long as it cuts it's plenty good enough, but anything under 1.75 h.p. isn't even good enough for twigs in the backyard.

there's a ton of wallymart plastic junk out there that won't even cut properly without stalling, out in the bush I've borrowed them from newbies and run them and laughed, talk about cheap and nasty, stuff starts breaking on them within half an hour. the 25cc ones are sooo weak you could dam near grab the chain at full power with bare hands and not get hurt. you have to gently gently feather the chain thru the cut at maximum speed and revs(which are as unimpressive as it's possible to get, power claimed on the shiny garish cardboard packaging as 0.9KW but in truth about 0.4KW, absolutely totally useless the slightest bit of pressure and bam she stalls and dies every time. A hand-held jacksaw is faster.

it doesn't matter if your tanaka or hitachi or whatever is slagged off as a gutless pile of garbage, so ****** what, lots of turkeys around here get wound up and start peeing there pants when you tell them their stinking noisy chainsaw is a heap of shlt, but for anyone laid back it's as long as it cuts it's plenty good enough, but anything under 1.75 h.p. isn't even good enough for twigs in the backyard.

there's a ton of wallymart plastic junk out there that won't even cut properly without stalling, out in the bush I've borrowed them from newbies and run them and laughed, talk about cheap and nasty, stuff starts breaking on them within half an hour. the 25cc ones are sooo weak you could dam near grab the chain at full power with bare hands and not get hurt. you have to gently gently feather the chain thru the cut at maximum speed and revs(which are as unimpressive as it's possible to get, power claimed on the shiny garish cardboard packaging as 0.9KW but in truth about 0.4KW, absolutely totally useless the slightest bit of pressure and bam she stalls and dies every time. A hand-held jacksaw is faster.

I bought one and I have to agree....gutless dog is what they are....sold it on ebay and lost a few bucks but gained alot of insight....took about 30 seconds to get through a 10" birch round. Even my ms170 is waaayy faster!

Has anyone took a look at the warranty on what the "mob" (without any experience) has called cheap POS? Have they?????????? Get off your high horses and from behind a screen RUN THE DAMM SAW then talk

Has anyone took a look at the warranty on what the "mob" (without any experience) has called cheap POS? Have they?????????? Get off your high horses and from behind a screen RUN THE DAMM SAW then talk

in the real world a 5 year warranty means the engines a detuned design and any other stuff is just trivial cheapo throwaway claims on bits that are easily replaced, and in the real world anyone wanting a 5-year warranty ain't going to be putting many hours on it. cheap means cheap

cheap also means
bum
cheesy
crummy
crumby
seedy
sordid
squalid
tacky
tinny

just thought I'd let you know that stevey

Shame, Tanaka made some good gear.

Every fencing contractor I know uses a Tanaka borer (drill) as they are (were ?) bloody good gear.

Yep, no other borer comes close. The stihl ones are geared too high, good for softwoods or steel perhaps but not fence posts. The atom ones need a chainsaw to run them so that pretty much leaves the Tanaka...

I hope they don't go cheap on these too :angry:

It's really a shame, hitachi has always been a good name as far as my experience goes, particularly with power tools of years past. I own a hitachi compound mitre saw that I use for everything from framing to finish molding on bare wood cabinetry. I've used makita, Bosch, dewalt, and ryobi. All top end models. My hitachi is better than them all.

It would be nice if they wouldn't sell out and start tarnishing their own reputation. Instead they'll just go the way of the box store/mega-conglomerate. Shame

My only experience with Hitachi is that they used to sell very decent recording cassettes back around 1980 - but they really just were rebranded Maxxell ones...:msp_unsure:

It's really a shame, hitachi has always been a good name as far as my experience goes, particularly with power tools of years past. I own a hitachi compound mitre saw that I use for everything from framing to finish molding on bare wood cabinetry. I've used makita, Bosch, dewalt, and ryobi. All top end models. My hitachi is better than them all.

It would be nice if they wouldn't sell out and start tarnishing their own reputation. Instead they'll just go the way of the box store/mega-conglomerate. Shame

I used a hitachi rotary drill for drilling concrete and masonry....that drill got the p*ss beat out of it and it is still going! Good drill....bad saw!

Open mindedness

Boy, so the robots building stuff in China are more careless than those building stuff elsewhere in the world?

How 'bout this for revolutionary thought: China, being one of the latest countries to enter the industrial age, has newer robots that build to higher tolerances. There are lots of ways to look at things but let's not close our minds to the possibility of high quality just because it's made in China.

Boy, so the robots building stuff in China are more careless than those building stuff elsewhere in the world?

How 'bout this for revolutionary thought: China, being one of the latest countries to enter the industrial age, has newer robots that build to higher tolerances. There are lots of ways to look at things but let's not close our minds to the possibility of high quality just because it's made in China.

I don't think that...I love my chinese made iphone and ipad...and my chinese sks is a tank of a rifle...the hitachi saws suck though. And everyone here typing on a computer or tablet or whatever is not closing their minds as those devices are for sure not american or european made.

Hitachi of current...not high quality...at least in chainsaws. And it all depends on the company that sources their designs to china...the chinese build to the specs of the parent company.

I don't think that...I love my chinese made iphone and ipad...and my chinese sks is a tank of a rifle...the hitachi saws suck though. And everyone here typing on a computer or tablet or whatever is not closing their minds as those devices are for sure not american or european made.

Hitachi of current...not high quality...at least in chainsaws. And it all depends on the company that sources their designs to china...the chinese build to the specs of the parent company.

This is typical of the ambiguity on AS. Some threads go for dozens or hundred of pages about products that fullfill the criteria of insignifant saws. Yet they are almost glorified here. On the otherhand there are threads about how terrible all these "el cheapos" are. And then we see the threads where swinging from one side to the other, like changing wind directions, is the norm.

Yet we seldom see any real comparison of these products where knowledgeable people show the insides and real life testing.

I have a Hitachi twin tank air compressor i found at the dump and it runs pretty good for what it is.
I have a Ryobi weedeater and a brush cutter attachment that i found at the dump and it out cut the one i had for years.
The first chainsaw i bought new was a Stihl 017 for around 200.00 and i know it's the low end home owner saw and to me it
get hardly any use because it's lacking any balls.
Like others have said here spend your cash on a good used saw without epa crap on it.

This is typical of the ambiguity on AS. Some threads go for dozens or hundred of pages about products that fullfill the criteria of insignifant saws. Yet they are almost glorified here. On the otherhand there are threads about how terrible all these "el cheapos" are. And then we see the threads where swinging from one side to the other, like changing wind directions, is the norm.

Yet we seldom see any real comparison of these products where knowledgeable people show the insides and real life testing.

As I have said, I had one...it sucked...I have a husky t435 now and it is quite a bit better as far as weight, balance, power, and less girth...when have I said otherwise?

Guess I dont know and have no knowledge, huh? Guess that I should have kept a crappy saw that had no minerals so that when I am in a tree I can be less confident in what I am doing. The saw simply cuts to slow in anything over 6".

The ms170 is a more powerful saw than the hitachi top handle...I have had both...

Although I am wondering that if you have actually used the hitachi how you would not come to the same conclusion as you have a 017. And if you haven't handled it, then why would you discount people who do not like the saw who have had one? Because we are knocking things that are cheap?

To 295

Glad your garbage find is working for you, same with all of your other "el cheapo's"...but air compressors and chainsaws are hardly the same category and you should know that.

Like I said...items are built to manufacturers specifications, so china is more than capable of making quality.

If the fact that crap and quality can be made in a large country is swining in the wind...guilty as charged although the accusation is erroneous...I just have a broader world view.

Last edited:
I thought I'd like to have one of the Hitachi top handle. I picked one up at Menards and was really surprised at how heavy and clumsy it felt, just glad I didn't have one delivered, I wouldn't trade one of my Earthquakes for two of those. I don't know if they are good or not, but I sure found out I don't want one.

I thought I'd like to have one of the Hitachi top handle. I picked one up at Menards and was really surprised at how heavy and clumsy it felt, just glad I didn't have one delivered, I wouldn't trade one of my Earthquakes for two of those. I don't know if they are good or not, but I sure found out I don't want one.

I wouldn't trade an earthquake for one either...even if I paid full price for an earthquake...those quakes are at least fairly slim and balanced. They cut faster too...even when stock, but they are 5cc larger.

As I have said, I had one...it sucked...I have a husky t435 now and it is quite a bit better as far as weight, balance, power, and less girth...when have I said otherwise?

Guess I dont know and have no knowledge, huh? Guess that I should have kept a crappy saw that had no minerals so that when I am in a tree I can be less confident in what I am doing. The saw simply cuts to slow in anything over 6".

The ms170 is a more powerful saw than the hitachi top handle...I have had both...

Although I am wondering that if you have actually used the hitachi how you would not come to the same conclusion as you have a 017. And if you haven't handled it, then why would you discount people who do not like the saw who have had one? Because we are knocking things that are cheap?

To 295

Glad your garbage find is working for you, same with all of your other "el cheapo's"...but air compressors and chainsaws are hardly the same category and you should know that.

Like I said...items are built to manufacturers specifications, so china is more than capable of making quality.

If the fact that crap and quality can be made in a large country is swining in the wind...guilty as charged although the accusation is erroneous...I just have a broader world view.

It was just a general comment on my side. I didn't understand that you have had actual experience with this model. For me it sounded like some theoretical comment. I further didn't question your experience so no need to be offended.
I am sure your Husqvarna is making you happy!

It was just a general comment on my side. I didn't understand that you have had actual experience with this model. For me it sounded like some theoretical comment. I further didn't question your experience so no need to be offended.
I am sure your Husqvarna is making you happy!

Im not offended I'm just sayin...and I think that when people write reviews here they don't feel that the time is well spent on saws that underwhelm or frustrate them. The husky is decent although if I could get my hands on a t540xp I am sure I will like it better...no one has any in stock for some reason.

I had an old style reed valve tanaka top handle that had better power than the hitachi, and was easier to handle and slimmer...if anyone is interested in the hitachi, try the ecs 3301 b by tanaka first...they can still be had on ebay new.

Latest posts

Back