Completely stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisted cameron

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well first off, I didn't see an introduction page, My name is Cameron I am from a west suburb of Chicago. I have a partner k950 chainsaw, and what a nightmare. something came loose in the top end, beat up the piston, jug, and the needle bearings out of the rod. So I replaced the bearings, seals, crank ass, piston, and jug. It started, then died. I took it to a dealer, the saw had a very dirty carb, and it drowned everything with fuel. He said I should just replace it. I have spark. Plenty of fuel, new non adjustable genuine part carb. proper compression. What could be the problem? I am stumped. any ideas, I gotta get this thing running badly. Thanks!

Welcome to the addiction!

If you have replaced jug/piston, there is not much left to be a problem, except for vacuum leaks and carb.

I'm not sure the state of the carb, it sounds like you replaced it after taking it to the dealer?

Its a brand new carb. how would I check for a leak? I know if its running to just spray some carb cleaner around it. But not running I have no clue. It does have a good line to the jug from the carb though.

Right on, Yorkville here. One thing that comes to mind, I didn't use any gasket sealant on the jug gasket. I never have had to with cars maybe these are different. Any thoughts on that?

I am so over it. Couldn't find a leak on the case, or anywhere else. Anybody have any good shop recomendations in the southwest suburbs of chicago?

Right on, Yorkville here. One thing that comes to mind, I didn't use any gasket sealant on the jug gasket. I never have had to with cars maybe these are different. Any thoughts on that?

Typically you'll find on this site that most either use a gasket w/o sealant or no gasket and sealant. On older saws, where gaskets are NLA you make your own or simply use a good sealant like Dirko HT or Yamabond, etc.

Pull the sparkplug and clean it.The plug will foul out pretty often after a re-build.After you burn out the excess assembly lube it will run fine.

It has a new plug. I even sprayed a lil starting fluid in the spark plug hole. Not a peep. Could I have the timing off somehow? there is a keyway in the crank, and the magneto went all the way to the jug. It rubbed the first couple times I pulled it. So it has to be on all the way.

It has a new plug. I even sprayed a lil starting fluid in the spark plug hole. Not a peep. Could I have the timing off somehow? there is a keyway in the crank, and the magneto went all the way to the jug. It rubbed the first couple times I pulled it. So it has to be on all the way.

Have you pulled the flywheel to make sure the key isnt toast and its out of time? It happens. Happens even more often when the key is cast into the flywheel. Just something worth checking.

welcome Cameron. just had the same thing.compression 140 had a good blue spark .but the plug kept coming out wet with fuel . notice had to spin it fast to get a spark . grab a different coil fired right up . always fun finding the mystery part

Have you pulled the flywheel to make sure the key isnt toast and its out of time? It happens. Happens even more often when the key is cast into the flywheel. Just something worth checking.

Bingo! key was completly shaved off. Thank you. Hopefully I will get it running tomorrow!

I have had that happen to me also. Especially when I find the kids toys with the push mower in the yard. Let us know how it turns out. I'm in Essex, not too far.

Back