Compression 038mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDawson1234

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I got the bug and started moding my 038mag. (4.4ci/72.2cm3) Got a tach for tuning and started with a muffler mod. I cut out the baffles, matched gasket to port, and opened up the final port. I'm still using this saw ina tree service and can't afford to go "HOT SAW" ,YET hehe, so I kept both the spark arrester screens and just ported out the openings behind them. Re-tune the carb, got more power and was happy for about a week. So then I noticed the air filter had a the narrowest passage on the inlet side so that got matched to the carb hole. I noticed a difference after both mods and I was wondering how I can get some more compression. I tested it and got @160. Now I see that decking is one way to get compression, but without replacing the cylinder I'd rather not risk pushing the piston up past an old wear ring and locking it down. So I was thinking maybe using the spark plug to change the displacement and get more compression. A longer one, if I have squish room, or maybe tap the hole for a plug with a larger OD. But then again, a new cylinder and piston is only 120 bucks... Also, just how much compression can a make before I have run better than 93octane gas at 50:1?

Back