Compression on Stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toronado

Reaction score
Hello, have read posts for a long time, appreciate all of the experts here. I have a few saws like many of the folks here. I have had an MS290 for years and just picked up an MS460. I've seen some conflicting info around on what a new Stihl saw will measure for compression. (Been told by experts anywhere from 150-190) The reason I'm asking, my MS290 has hundreds of hours on it (been cutting 3-4 cords a year for 5 years and doing tree work on my property too) and it measures around 160psi holding the throttle open and pulling it around 5 times cold. I know that is a good reading as far as running but I'd expect it to be lower than a new or low hour saw.

The MS460 I just picked up is definitely a very low hour saw. The guy swore less than ten. It still has pristine stickers, even the white "Made in Germany" sticker on the front of the case. Wouldn't take penny less than $700 which is fine for a low hour MS460. Regardless of his claim, I'm willing to bet this saw doesn't have even 30hours. Even the exhaust is mostly shiny.

When I got the saw it ran poorly so I flushed out gas and tested compression. Compression measured at 160 after 6 pulls cold. I adjusted the carb and nothing so I thought it had a vacuum issue because it would stall at random times and not come off throttle well. Eventually I just soaked the carb in cleaner and let it sit. As of today it runs perfectly.

But considering how new this saw looks, from the stickers to 99% of the paint on the bottom I'd expect it to have a higher compression reading than my other Stihl saw and other saws. I do run the best gas and oil and never over rev my saws but still..........

So what should one measure on a new or low hour? Maybe the MS460 was run many hours in a mill which would explain the pristine look if it had more hours.

Oh, by the way, I started a new thread because for some reason search isn't working on the site right now. Sorry if this has been discussed to death in the past

150 sounds good. I bet there's only a few saws new going in the 165-180 range.

If the saw doesn't have enough hours so that the rings are fully seated, the compression will be lower. 160 psi is in the normal range for a stock saw. Good to hear that the 460 is running well now. Both MS440's that I got used needed a carb rebuild in order to run their best.

Completely normal. My brand new MS441 C-M only pulled 155 lbs out of the box.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was pulling the starter until the gauge stopped climbing much per pull. Both saws hit 160 in about 5 pulls and would only creep up after that. Those were cold tests too.

I guess I was surprised that my MS290 has full compression after the abuse I've given it. I expected it to be lower than the MS460 but at the same time I had no idea if this MS460 was used in a mill which protected its case and the aesthetics (stickers, etc). I'm also happy that this MS460 is full compression and running very smoothly now. I have a 4 food wide western red cedar waiting to be bucked up.

I have a few really old school saws I've picked up from people at work. When I get some time I'm gonna get them running. When someone says old chainsaw or "broken stuff with engine" at work people must think of me haha.

Latest posts

Back