compression tester recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have to be sure of the valve location. I have a Matco one that wasn't cheap, but is useless for small engines because the valve is located at the quick coupler where the lower hose joins the upper hose.

My Snap On has the valve in each hose
on the end that screws into the plug hole.
Just where you want it.

Lee

well, i went to Autozone at lunch. i asked the guy for a compression tester and he handed me an Actron 7828. i showed him the pic i had downloaded from the autozone website of the Great Neck tester that Brad has. He said they that was the tester they had for a loaner. i thought about taking him up on his offer, but i figured with 29 saws to test, i might want one that i could keep for a few days.
i guess i will use it and see how well it works. it was $40 + tax.

This one has done okay by me.

I don't know who makes it but Sears sells it. Valve at the tip.

attachment.php

Does anyone know where to get replacement schrader valves. I have an actron gauge but I noticed that my schrader valve is no longer sealing, which is leading to low readings. I tried a valve from a motorcycle tire but the pressure required to open it is too high and does not work.
Thanks

Does anyone know where to get replacement schrader valves. I have an actron gauge but I noticed that my schrader valve is no longer sealing, which is leading to low readings. I tried a valve from a motorcycle tire but the pressure required to open it is too high and does not work.
Thanks

Just about any auto parts store sells Schrader guts. And those little "t" wrenches for getting them in and out, too. I can't imagine there are special guts just for compression testers.

incorrect.. shraeder valves for compression testers use an ultra soft spring. I'd try taking valve apart, then cleaning it out.

was having leak down issues, but it turned out to be seal at plug hole.
did take out shraeder valve and replace with normal tire valve. which didn't work.

Just about any auto parts store sells Schrader guts. And those little "t" wrenches for getting them in and out, too. I can't imagine there are special guts just for compression testers.

I will try to clean it out, but I had it apart once already and really didn't see anything wrong, but I will try soaking it in some carb cleaner or acetone or something to make sure that it is clean.

would not use acetone... which will destroy some rubber/plastic

What 046 said...compression testers have special valves. You can't take one out of an old bicycle inner tube and put it in your compression tester, you'll get incorrect readings.

Lisle guage

I have that one and it reads 10-15 lbs low when compared to my compressor guages. The one I have from AutoZone actually does a better job.

I don't know a lot about these but I have the same problem with the Lisle I have.

In my experience the valves only get dirty from crud in the combustion chambers like oil and carbon. Clean them up well, no harsh cleaners required, blow out the valves and the connection hoses , adapters etc and they should be good to go. I have the first comp tester I bought back around the mid 60`s , a Tuffy brand and clean it up every couple of months ,still works fine. I check it against my Snap On comp tester and they always read within one lb of each other. They have both leaked down at times but a good cleaning has fixed them up every time.
Pioneerguy600

what size tip is needed for small engines? I'm lookin at the Actron compression tester gauges on Sears's website (i'd post the urls but not working for me right now). Also considering the one that from AutoZone?

thanks

here's a pic of my pressure testing drawer... Snap-on compression tester with different ends for most types of spark plugs. all tips have shrader valve.

there's two Snap-on compression gauges in drawer.. one for up to 250psi.. other for up to 800 psi. then I have another set for high pressure testing up to 6,000 psi.

snapon pressure test.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back