compressor overheats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preach it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a small electric air compressor that I use on a daily basis, pumping up tires, air wrenches, cleaning out chainsaws. In the last day or too it would only run for a couple of minutes and overheat/shutoff. I will reset it and it will run for another minute and do the same. The oil in it is good quality synthetic and at the required level. What could be wrong? We are not in the middle of a heat wave here. Any ideas?

long shot

I had a problem like that. Turned out to be the extention cord. Needed to run a wire from the outlet and attach an outlet. Apparently the extention cord couldn't handle the current. Try plugging into a different outlet.

Sounds like a low voltage problem. I have the same problem in my garage. I plan to run heavier wires from the main panel to the garage "some day".

preach it said:
I have a small electric air compressor that I use on a daily basis, pumping up tires, air wrenches, cleaning out chainsaws. In the last day or too it would only run for a couple of minutes and overheat/shutoff. I will reset it and it will run for another minute and do the same. The oil in it is good quality synthetic and at the required level. What could be wrong? We are not in the middle of a heat wave here. Any ideas?

Small compressor.........hmmmm........that covers alot of territory, but since you said it'll run a wrench, I will assume it's at least a small nail gun type. Coming off your pressure switch, there is a small airline that goes into the tank, it actually couples before the tank, with the larger air line coming off the head. Inside the tank there is a valve that tends to get gunked up. Most times removing it and giving it a good cleaning will get you back in business. This eventually happens on all my portable compessors. The symptoms are, it tanks up but it won't kick back on after using some air. It will try, but you hear the motor humming, it's the kind of noise that makes you RUN over and hit the switch, lol. Anyway, this hidden valve is a maintenance item that is never mentioned in the manual. :censored:

The compressor is the larger of the portable type. I will check the extension cord and try switching to another. The answer that Dave gave sounds exactly like what it is doing, it is often trying to run with a whine sound and shuts off. It would make sense that something is plugged and is over pressuring it. Thanks for the help. I will take it apart and clean out the valves and lines. I wish it was told in the maintenance manual.

help

I took the compressor apart and checked the lines and valves. There wasn't much in them, not enough to plug it up. I cleaned it all out and put it back together and it still over heats. I tried a different extension cord and it still overheated. This is driving me nuts, what is wrong anyone have any ideas?

Is there any way to turn the motor and the pump by hand? If it is a belt drive take the belt off see if you can freewheel the motor and if it spins easily. It might have a bad spot in the windings. The compressor will be harder to turn, but see if it moves fairly easy at first, it may be locked up!
Andy

That valve is inside the tank or should be. You would have to take the hoses off and unscrew the fitting from the tank to get to it. If you have done that then it could be the switch itself.

What is the brand/model btw?

Sorry I just read your post and will take it apart again tomorrow. I didn't pull it out of the tank. I found a spring and rubber stopper where it enters the tank on the outside. I thought that was it.
Today the compressor would only run about a minute or less before it would kick the over heat switch off. Talk about frustrating. I pulled out a bunch of catalogs and looked up prices on compressors.
I have gone through all my stuff looking for the owners manual and I can't find it :bang:

Back