Concerned about my Red Oak (Oak wilt or just drought stress?) [Photos]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvercreek

Reaction score
I may just be paranoid, but I have concerns about a large Red Oak in my backyard. Very valuable tree to me and I want to do everything I can to save it. If I lost it, it would be a disaster to me. For the most part the tree looks healthy to me, with a lot of green leaves that are in good shape. But as the days go on, I am noticing more and more leaves dropping and other ones turning pale green or brown, all over the tree. I accidentally wounded it 3-4 weeks ago by trimming a small branch off (I thought the branch was dead... it was not) and I'm worried I may have let in Oak Wilt. There is no Oak Wilt in my immediate neighborhood that I know of, but I know it's in the area. I attached a few photos of some dead/dying leaves with an unusual pattern. They are all over the tree, and starting to drop off.

I am hoping it's just a response from the 100 degree heat we had last week here in Central Texas, but as it continues to worsen, I'm getting concerned.

View attachment 303544View attachment 303545View attachment 303546

Last edited:
Sure looks like oak wilt. Only real way to tell is send in samples to a diagnostic lab. Maybe it's bacterial leaf scorch. But if it's progressing fast, more likely to be wilt.

And no more pruning your oaks during summer; even the deadwood. Don't wound the tree needlessly.

Latest posts

Back