Confused about Husqvarna-Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While buying a new saddle, I got into a conversation about chainsaw companies. We talked about the different companies going out of business or selling out. Husqvarna to Electrolux in '78, Dolmer to Makita in '91, McCulloch to Jeng Feng in '99 and then to Husqvarna. Neither one of us knew much about Jonsered.
I eventually asked my father, whom has owned Jonsereds for ever, told me that Jonsered always was the professional side of of Husqvarna. He told me that when he bought his first one in the 70's the dealer sold both Husky and Jonsered. He said that back then professionals only ran Stihl, McCulloch, or Jonsereds with a few Dolmers mixed in. I guess it was like buying a Poulan Pro to a Husky XP. Huge differences..... but the same basic set-up.
Does anyone know if he is right? He only has his experiences to go on and that is very restricted to the NorthEastern US. Primarily N. Maine.
What is the history between Jonsered and Husqvarna. I know that on a Jonsered's EPA tag it says 'Made in Huskvarna, Sweden.'

While buying a new saddle, I got into a conversation about chainsaw companies. We talked about the different companies going out of business or selling out. Husqvarna to Electrolux in '78, Dolmer to Makita in '91, McCulloch to Jeng Feng in '99 and then to Husqvarna. Neither one of us knew much about Jonsered.
I eventually asked my father, whom has owned Jonsereds for ever, told me that Jonsered always was the professional side of of Husqvarna. He told me that when he bought his first one in the 70's the dealer sold both Husky and Jonsered. He said that back then professionals only ran Stihl, McCulloch, or Jonsereds with a few Dolmers mixed in. I guess it was like buying a Poulan Pro to a Husky XP. Huge differences..... but the same basic set-up.
Does anyone know if he is right? He only has his experiences to go on and that is very restricted to the NorthEastern US. Primarily N. Maine.
What is the history between Jonsered and Husqvarna. I know that on a Jonsered's EPA tag it says 'Made in Huskvarna, Sweden.'

LOL, your father sure is Waaaay off.

To put it simple, Husky owns Jonsered by now, and started making their saws in 1982, when both were owned by E-lux.

That transition was completed about 20 years later, and Husky now makes all decent or better Jonsereds, based on Husky models.

In the 1960s and 1970s, before E-lux bought both brands, Jonsereds often made the better saws though.....

Last edited:
your right!! they both "SUCK GAS AND HAUL ASS THROUGH ALL WOODS" top of the line and they dont come any better "JONSERED" rules and a husky drools beside it!! lol p.s. STIHLS SUCK!! jonsered fumes!!

Stihl sure does suck at getting beat by husky's and jonserds...

I been using Husqvarna for many years, too many really it's a young mans game.
I have tried Stihl but they cant match the power and speed of a Husqvarna, and they done break down, very reliable and go on for years. Over with us the pro's seem to go more for the husky and the stihl mostly for farm or diy work, these maybe a little lighter but just havent got the power for the cc's.

I will stick to what I know and love them, easy to set up & tune, a perfect tool.

I been using Husqvarna for many years, too many really it's a young mans game.
I have tried Stihl but they cant match the power and speed of a Husqvarna, and they done break down, very reliable and go on for years. Over with us the pro's seem to go more for the husky and the stihl mostly for farm or diy work, these maybe a little lighter but just havent got the power for the cc's.

I will stick to what I know and love them, easy to set up & tune, a perfect tool.

Maybe in the uk but not here....

Hi Matt,

yes it seems to be like that, I dont know if its because one is more available or not, they both seem to be the top saws here & we dont have homelite in any numbers, maybe its just a marketing issue I dont know. All I can say is what I have found over the years and people I have worked with and probably over 75% would be using husky?
I will try to get some prices for you to compair with costs over with you.

Happy cutting (whatever saw you use) :clap:

Hi Matt,

yes it seems to be like that, I dont know if its because one is more available or not, they both seem to be the top saws here & we dont have homelite in any numbers, maybe its just a marketing issue I dont know. All I can say is what I have found over the years and people I have worked with and probably over 75% would be using husky?
I will try to get some prices for you to compair with costs over with you.

Happy cutting (whatever saw you use) :clap:

I run Stihl but would run a Husky with no problem.(I'm looking for one myself) No doubt Husky make's a fine saw. Idk what the % is here but i think Stihl has the most sales.

Id like to know what the prices are over their. That would make for a good comparison.
My dealer is a Stihl/Husky dealer.Imo they are both equally as good just personal preference. Iv had more problems with Husky but i blame the owner's for poor maintenance.

Lately it seems like a bunch of high-school kids have taken over in here, always joking around...

I like the red and black color scheme of Jonsered saws, and have been having good luck with them for almost 30 years, but I can't say they are better than others. We live in America where we get choices.

Jonsered has sold some consumer-grade models in the past and continues to now...just like the other guys. I do find it kinda interesting that saws like the Jonsered 625 ( sister to Husky 61) started out as a pro saw, but slowly morphed into consumer. The line between pro and consumer is a little fuzzy, eh?

Lately it seems like a bunch of high-school kids have taken over in here, always joking around...

I like the red and black color scheme of Jonsered saws, and have been having good luck with them for almost 30 years, but I can't say they are better than others. We live in America where we get choices.

Jonsered has sold some consumer-grade models in the past and continues to now...just like the other guys. I do find it kinda interesting that saws like the Jonsered 625 ( sister to Husky 61) started out as a pro saw, but slowly morphed into consumer. The line between pro and consumer is a little fuzzy, eh?

High school edumacated.....college gradeated here........twice

The consumer grade designation is always a little fuzzy, now include landowner and it is mind numbing. A saw is a saw and trying to classify them is tedious and never really suits the saw exactly. There is a list of saws that could be added to the list of 625's and 61's. The 2054, 2152, 2159, and the 2165 are good candidates for that list. Is the 2165 really a homeowner saw? No, but is it a professional saw? No, it is a saw that fits the person who cuts big firewood and doesn't want to drop a lot of coin for a suitable saw.

well, this isint paying any bills so why shouldn't we have a good time, that's why i'm here. Give and get advice and have some fun, if you have a stick up your ### then why are you on the internet?

Back