Conservative port timing - Torquey?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of unidentified Shindaiwa cylinders (no model numbers cast in) from a fellow saw builder. In our phone conversations we determined them to be some early version of 757 cylinder - 51mm bore, just like the 757 saws, just with different looking lower transfers. The exhaust mounting flange is slightly different (narrower), the lower 'sleeved' part of the cylinder that fits into the case was thinner, hence smaller in diameter, and the port design/shape is also different than the 757 chainsaw cylinders. Shindaiwa EC7600 cut-off saws are the same displacement and bore as the 757 chainsaw...see where I am going with this? Well, I degreed the cylinder on a 757 saw this evening. The cut-off saw likely uses a different piston, so the accuracy of my numbers using the chainsaw piston may be off in left field, but it was all I had. The piston covers the intake port about 5mm or so at TDC. So, you can figure that is good for another 10* or so of total duration if it were to be removed. Anyhow, I came up with these numbers:

Intake 120.5*
Exhaust 141*
Transfer 112.5*

These were FAR more conservative than the stock numbers I got of my 757 chainsaw:

Intake 163.5*
Exhaust 161.5*
Transfer 107*

So, do the numbers seem reasonable for a cut-off saw?

Back