Considering 32" bar and big saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could swap top ends for the 79cc Makita p&c and gain 15ccs. Even better if it's ported. That'd be a very powerful saw. Just swapping with a stock top end would be a pretty cheap way to get a big power bump compared to buying a different saw. Problem is that you don't get to add another saw to the lineup that way.

You lost me on the chains being cheaper and lighter with a 28" bar vs 24". Generally speaking, bars that length run the same types of chain. Anything available for a 28 could also be spun up to for a 24" bar (skip, full comp, semi chisel, etc.).

28" vs. 32" I should have said lighter and cheaper bars and chains. Much on the plate right now.

I'm interested in the larger 79cc top. There are some youtube vids showing the power. Too many current challenges to consider tearing the motor apart.

No one attacked you. You became obstinate and were called out on it.

You asked for advice. It was given. At no point did I say to go with a Stihl, nor did I refer to your 6400 as a Stihl.

Your requirements call for a MS500i. Given your altitude.
Too bad you'll be 90 before you can buy one.
Next choice would be a 661CM.

If you go with a 7910, be prepared to deal with a broken chain brake every time you turn around. Lots not to like about that saw, if you are going to put any amount of time on it.

Question....

Being that the OP is going to probably want to run this at both "low" and high altitude, would an auto-tune saw be something for him to seriously consider, or do even those have their limits?

We got this one in July. 4+ trailers worth. Usually to much to handle trying to get it out of the forest, but his one was right on the side of the road. It was still no easy job as most of it was off the road when it landed. Dropped perpendicular, so some of it was easy, but 75% of it was challenging.

We do not consider those big trees, but still they are the perfect size easy to handle. I will try to get some pics together. Very hard tp pass up a tree that is near a road very good find. Thanks

My two pennies say that it does not matter much which saw OP gets. A needs to be a 100cc or more. B It has to be an older saw that has available parts. C The timing must be advanced at least five to seven degrees. D it can not have any electronics except for ignition coil. E Compression must be increased at least by 50 %. The cheapest saw would be a Farmertec. If these mods are done you will be at 75% power as compared to less than 50% for a stock saw. I live at 6,000 feet and work at higher altitudes. After some time one begins to think that there is no loss of power at all. Thanks

I have yet to find any female that finds owing a certain chainsaw (or any chainsaw) something that would be of interest. You might look to a good watch rolex/omega. Expensive cars. Nice clothes. Big honkin’ bank account. Even cooking skills. Chainsaws, nope.

IDK about chainsaws but woodshops get them going for sure. I used to have a shop in a busy area and not once but twice a cutie wandered in there and I ended up scoring. Once in the actual shop! Virtual high five....thank you!

We do not consider those big trees, but still they are the perfect size easy to handle. I will try to get some pics together. Very hard tp pass up a tree that is near a road very good find. Thanks

Yup, and thank God trees are round, for we have to roll them in to the trailer. These were very round and the ground was flat, but when the 2 of us have to roll them it stops being fun.

My two pennies say that it does not matter much which saw OP gets. A needs to be a 100cc or more. B It has to be an older saw that has available parts. C The timing must be advanced at least five to seven degrees. D it can not have any electronics except for ignition coil. E Compression must be increased at least by 50 %. The cheapest saw would be a Farmertec. If these mods are done you will be at 75% power as compared to less than 50% for a stock saw. I live at 6,000 feet and work at higher altitudes. After some time one begins to think that there is no loss of power at all. Thanks

I used to hot rod 45 years ago. Have no idea how to do these things to a chainsaw. Know where to start?

Smell of good old cedar! Nice wooden boat don’t hurt neither. A lot of work to maintain.

I had an old wood boat my father gave me. Reconditioned it three times, used it once. It leaked because the dry Colorado weather shrinks things. I thought the significant leak added to the excitement, my father did not.

Wasn't for boats, my finances would look significantly different. Have 5 including the sailboat - which i keep trying to get in the Pacific. Not easy from Colorado. I guess the California delta counted - in a way.

If I ever need a specific tool to prove I have a **** I hope someone puts me out of my misery.

You talk about impressing/pleasing women. I retired from that gig, well, it was some time ago.

Just ordered these. Prolly have wood all night.

Attachments

• makita powerhead.jpg
    makita powerhead.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 6
  • makita pole saw.jpg
    makita pole saw.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 6
I used to hot rod 45 years ago. Have no idea how to do these things to a chainsaw. Know where to start?

;Saws and hot rods a little different. If you are doing work at 10,000 feet most saws will struggle. Big cubes help. Advance timing some time one can file the mounting hole to rotate the coil a bit. Base gasket delete raises compression. any porting would not hurt and open muffler a bit. I have two 070 and really like them. With 404 chain they have pushed through a few cords every week. The problem with them is you better have your rest the night before because they are heavy. With fuel about 32 to 35 lbs. Ask folks for help or check out AS threads. Thanks

So I bought an inexpensive 7hp saw and 32" bar. I am working with filthy wildfire destroyed trees so gunking up an expensive saw made no sense. Actually got the saw a few days ago. Took a couple days to figure out the carb tuning at 9000' altitude.

Makes cutting stumps at ground level 10 times easier. I find the weight of the saw kind of helps with felling. No need for a big saw when bucking. All my saws noodle when bucking - most struggle when felling larger trees.

So happy with the big saw I bought a 72cc saw with 28" light weight bar tonight. I love saws and guns it seems.

Back