Considering a Stihl? Here's something to consider

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with ya. The OP hasn't said why he choose to make calls instead of just taking the saw in for repair. I'm as curious as you. He may here in abit, should be a good read and who knows you may be 100% right, if so you can borrow my Wolverine steel toe, know what I mean,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Yeap I guess we'll find out soon enough (hopefully). :) ::thumbsup::

And in comment to the title of the thread - I'd like to know what there is to consider. Because calling Stihl on the phone to get one's saw fixed is nothing to consider in the first place IMO.

Last edited:
THALL is lying

Tommy 'ol boy, yer fibbin abit in this thread aintcha ??
remember a few months ago i called ya with a ht101 pole saw fuel pickup issue ??
my local stihl guy gave me the wrong parts to fix it which were totally wrong, i needed to talk to someone who knew there "****",,, so i called on the KING (i posted a thread about this)....
tommy rattled of the part #'s without missing a beat, told me about a replacement part and the part #, right off the top of his head...
so, your lying tommy, you essentually fixed my pole saw over the phone.......
and i thank you again for the help my friend !!!!!
have a great xmas..

This all could have been aboided if only someone on the phone had told him the easy way to fix it was to hit it real hard on the side of the muffler bearing with a water hammer, and it would be fixed permanently, he wouldn't be here.....

I mean, come on, no one told him how to fix the defective part?

What was he expecting when it was hard to start, off an on, for a year? I guess it gets better on its own after the warranty runs out, whatever planet he lives.

Now that his warranty is up, anyone going to tell him where he can buy spare defective parts, now that his friend out west told him the real deal? Help a noob out.

Heck, he knows how to rebuild a carb now, thanks to his friend he called what? Fourth on the list?

You're right OP, shuffle on down to Husky Town, from there get a Echo and spew on it too.

I don't think this guy did anything wrong per say. Maybee he should have just taken it to the dealer.
Certainly dosent sound likes he's avoiding responsibility.
Sounds like a guy who saw tore up and he just wants it fixed.
I or anyone else would be upset for the way he was treated.
But **** happens. No biggie he finally got her fixed.

I like to give a man the benefit of the doubt....
Maybee the OP will state why he didn't take her to the dealer......

I don't think the name of the game is "Joe Shmoe small engine repair CONSULTANTS."

We dont get paid shelling out advice. We're all willing to help out a bit. But don't e all expecting your local dealer to give it all away. Try going to, no wait, calling a service center about your Holley 650 carb and what you need to do it fatten up the idle a bit. See how long they stay on the phone instructing you how to fix it.

This forum, your dad, your buddy, uncle, grandpa, neighbor - they're the guys you call when you want something for nothing - including an analysis of what's wrong and how to fix it.

That's why I/we help out here on this forum. Spare time and a willingness to help. A shop is a shop.

Yeap I guess we'll find out soon enough (hopefully). :) ::thumbsup::

And in comment to the title of the thread - I'd like to know what there is to consider. Because calling Stihl on the phone is nothing to consider in the first place IMO.

Hell Chucker that phone gets even better man. Old guy comes in one day with a 290, its fried. Didn't buy it from me. He took it back to where he bought it and they said sorry, its out of warranty. He comes to me with the saw and 4 bottles of mix oil still in the pack. He tells me his story of he only put two gallons of fuel through since he owned it, see I still have 4 bottles left. I look at the saw and it does look almost like new. I pull the bar and chain and look closely at the sprocket, no wear at all, saw obviously hadn't been used much. It is a few months out of warranty however. I go hold on, let me make a call. I call my man and explain the situation and nudge him with a you supply the parts I'll supply the labor and this old guy will be happy. My man goes ok, do it. The old guy was sitting right beside me when I made the call. I explained to him I just saved him 212.00 in parts and I'm going to do the labor for free, would had been a 1 hour labor, he's delighted, so I thought.

The very next day Stihl forward's me a e-mail they recieved from my customer. It states I'm charging him 212.00 in parts and 1 hour for labor and he feels he should be re-imbursed for all of that. I'm like what the f-k. Now I'm onto the old bas-tard, he's a crook. I call my man at Stihl and tell him what I'm gonna do, he laffs his head off while I'm mad as a hornet.

I get the saw done, call the old man to come get it. When he shows up to get his saw I got a letter waiting on him that I made him sign. It stated that he had falsely said in his e-mail that I was charging him for parts and labor. It also said I have recieved my saw back fully repaired and totally free of charge. I made the old SOB sign the letter and I sent it to Stihl. They thought it was funny but I sure didn't. The old guy and his e-mail made me look like I was screwing my own distributor, luckily they know me better than that.

Now get this, before the old guy leaves he tells me I'm glad to have found you and I'll be back. I replied well don't make a habit of it to let him know I don't want him back. Haven't seen him since and its a good thing. That bas-tard thought he was gonna get his saw fixed for free and pocket over 200.00 to boot, what a crooked ole SOB. Between telephones and e-mails ya gotta be carefull for sure, especially when your dealing with me, I know how to dial that MO FO too,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, about the only thing to be determined from a pre-visit phone call is about how many weeks they're backed up getting work out. IF the grass is growing all small engine guys around here are weeks behind.

Also, you can't throw an orange stick over your shoulder without hitting a stihl dealership. Of 10's of thousands dealers, there _are_ going to be some buttwipes. them's just the facts.

I'm with the service guys, they can't fix it over the phone, they get tired of looking up nickel/dime parts for us too, but that's part of the gig. Getting off the phone with the squirrel fretting over the possibility of paying for service--of thinkin' 'bout doing it himself/just tell him how to fix it, TO GET BACK to fixin' things with repair tags on 'em is what keeps the landlord at bay and the tax man fat.

Our microwave quit a while back. I called Sears, and they had no idea what was wrong. They told me to make an appointment for the service tech to come out. Imagine that.

Actually, I never called them. I repaired it myself.

But I did call Chrysler about the problem with my slightly out of warranty 181,000 mile sedan. They had no clue, but suggested bringing it in to the dealer for a look.

OK, I didn't call them either. You get the point.

Tommy 'ol boy, yer fibbin abit in this thread aintcha ??
remember a few months ago i called ya with a ht101 pole saw fuel pickup issue ??
my local stihl guy gave me the wrong parts to fix it which were totally wrong, i needed to talk to someone who knew there "****",,, so i called on the KING (i posted a thread about this)....
tommy rattled of the part #'s without missing a beat, told me about a replacement part and the part #, right off the top of his head...
so, your lying tommy, you essentually fixed my pole saw over the phone.......
and i thank you again for the help my friend !!!!!
have a great xmas..

Well sometimes I forgets just how dayummm good I is, haha. Fact is yours was easy, most times the phone just will not resolve the problem, gots to get it on the bench....

This thread got me to think'n...Yeah, that's dangerous.

I haven't gotten a phone call from anyone today, wanting their water heater diagnosed and fixed over the phone.

It's been kinda nice.

This thread got me to think'n...Yeah, that's dangerous.

I haven't gotten a phone call from anyone today, wanting their water heater diagnosed and fixed over the phone.

It's been kinda nice.

you waiting for when someone calls about their toilet not working right? tell them to take the tank cover off and have them drop the phone in there so you can 'look' around... see if then do it... that should solve them calling back... LOL

The Barbie Saw quit in the middle of a cut and would not start. I finished the tree with another saw, and then called the dealer where I bought my saw and asked if there was anything to check before bringing it in. They know it is an hour trip one way. They were nice, and told me to try a sparkplug from another saw in it.
That was it. I stopped by later when I had to go into town and bought some sparkplugs and thanked them. End of story.

you waiting for when someone calls about their toilet not working right? tell them to take the tank cover off and have them drop the phone in there so you can 'look' around... see if then do it... that should solve them calling back... LOL

Of all the plumbing jokes/jabs/words of wisdom I've heard, I haven't heard that one.

Thanks for the laugh!:msp_thumbup:

Howdy Folks,

Reading this and listening to ole Toms storys reminds me of the time a fella named covered in sap or just sap for short had a problem with a dealer. Look it up if you get a chance that was some entertainment. I hope the OP gets his saw fixed.

v/r

Mike

The Barbie Saw quit in the middle of a cut and would not start. I finished the tree with another saw, and then called the dealer where I bought my saw and asked if there was anything to check before bringing it in. They know it is an hour trip one way. They were nice, and told me to try a sparkplug from another saw in it.
That was it. I stopped by later when I had to go into town and bought some sparkplugs and thanked them. End of story.

Nice, also something to consider when considering buying a Stihl. Gotta say, when I bought my first Stihl I was a pain in the backside for the dealer. Not because I was rude, but because I had no experience on which to base reasonable expectations or to determine what was a problem and what wasn't. I think a pro user is bound to be less of a pain and is likely to have a better experience for a number of reasons.

Latest posts

Back