Considering an OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, even the guys in this thread say that 36 hours pushed by the dealers is bunk and for it to run the best you load it 2-3x a day.

If your stove pipe is going out through a concrete wall and you put up concrete backer board or whatever on the ceiling, you could have the fire atop the stove and not catch the house on fire, but hey, justify it however you want.

Wrong. 36 hours is crap , unless it is spring or fall. If we have a 25 to 30 degree day and 5 to 10 degree night (80 percent of winter days here) it will easily go 24 hours. I check it in the morning and night . If it gets real cold (5 for a high and -15 for a low ) i load it once at night (5 pm) and once in the morning (7pm) .

Hey guys, do you think it would make sense to have your brand and model of OWB, IWB, or stove listed in your signature? I was going to ask if you could mention it in your posting, but I figure putting it in your signature helps for reference on your comments later on...and we wouldn't have to search back for what you have.

Wrong. 36 hours is crap , unless it is spring or fall. If we have a 25 to 30 degree day and 5 to 10 degree night (80 percent of winter days here) it will easily go 24 hours. I check it in the morning and night . If it gets real cold (5 for a high and -15 for a low ) i load it once at night (5 pm) and once in the morning (7pm) .

Hockeypuck, how much space are you heating and how are you heating it (forced air, baseboard, etc.)?

I have to load my owb. At 6Am @ 5pm, then I throw on some more at 10pm. When it is cold here.

Curdy I agree with others on forgetting eBay for a boiler. If you are going new, then go with the best local dealer. That's why I ended up with a Woodmaster instead of a Central Boiler. CB makes a fine product, but the WM was $1000 less and the dealer was much better.

When buying used sitck with something local that you can see for yourself. Also remember when buying used these things are 2000# and more so moving one yourself is almost impossible. We set mine with a full size 580 Case backhoe and my machine was maxed right out getting the boiler to my concrete pad that it sits on.

Since this season will be over by the time you get a boiler I would save a little more cash and buy a brand new unit this summer, when prices will be at the best. Woodmaster had a promotion when I bought my unit in which the gave me $500 worth of free accesories, so that went toward my heat exchangers, pumps, etc.

Hockeypuck, how much space are you heating and how are you heating it (forced air, baseboard, etc.)?[/QUOTE]

1400 square feet of living space plus two caf garage kept at 50.

All is forced hot water baseboard via a 60 plate heat exchanger.

Imported from POLAND????

Man, good luck with:

Installation
Fitting sizes
Parts availability
Instructions
Electrical (50 Hz in Europe)
Build quality
Forget a warantee
etc.
etc.

Bad enough with all the fly-by-night boiler companies in the US and Canada.

Read: AVOID!!!!

Imported from POLAND????

Man, good luck with:

Installation
Fitting sizes
Parts availability
Instructions
Electrical (50 Hz in Europe)
Build quality
Forget a warantee
etc.
etc.

Bad enough with all the fly-by-night boiler companies in the US and Canada.

Read: AVOID!!!!

:laugh: Yeah, when you look at the pictures nothing is in English...kinda funny actually. Part of me thinks that for $1500 I'd be OK with having to fool around a bit to get it to hook up correctly. Feedback from the last buyer was pretty positive.

Did you see the square damper? Interesting...

Just got word that the guy with the used WoodMaster for sale sold it this morning. Not sure for what, but I'll make sure to let you know if I find out.

Darn.

Reminds me of a guy that I built a house with/for in California. He got a 200 amp circuit breaker split panel for cheap, and though he got a great deal. But after installation, the building inspector insisted that the wire between the panels have a load ampacity of 200 amps... that required 4 strand insulated 0000 AL wire, which cost more than a NEW single 200 amp panel would have.

Something like this unit would be for someone that is a plumber, or a retired person in need of a hobby. The fittings, translation, plumbing, etc. would be a real task.

The Central Boiler was hard enough with ordering PEX lines and renting a crimping tool. Then sizing and plumbing and wiring all the copper and electrical, and getting it into and through the house. The issue was with all the different fittings, connectors and valves and stuff, which are all available, in standard sizes. The plumbing and electrical are in US units, and once connected, work fine and are easy to connect up. Having to interface to odd sizes and shapes? :dizzy: Headache material. The other issue is parts. I got a new damper and replacement controller unit from the CB dealer here under warantee after a season of use (defective controler and damper replaced for free, also gave us more anti-corrosion material for the boil-overs that were caused by the defectve controler unit).

Yeah, I hear you. Really, thought it looked more interesting than anything. I'm not looking for any MAJOR projects. Installing a CB, WM, or Heatmor would be plenty of a project for me by itself!

I have a friend that's looking into a Greenwood Furnace.

http://www.greenwoodfurnace.com/

Says he plans to have it outside the house, but enclosed in a little utility building or something like that. I think he said maybe by summer he'd have it in. I'll make sure to post info on it when he does.

Back