consolidated dutchwest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampakev

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, newby here, I've been able to answer all my questions just by reading, great site. I do have a woodstove question. I have a dutchwest xlarge #2462, 2 years old, catalist, it's been a great stove, 10-11 hours burne times. Just recently it started puffin back (just little puffs) and the burn times are like 4 hours tops, and the thermomiture(spelled wronge im sure) on top for the combuster wont get over 800 deg. (usaly at 1400) it was installed by stove shop, 8" pipe strait up (no bends) Any help would be great. Thanks in advance:confused:

It sounds like your catalytic combustor is dying.

You've not been burning anything that would damage it have you? Or letting flames hit it? Have you cleaned the combustor?

I've been burning good hardwood, and I thought the flames shoude be hitting it. I have brushed it off with a dust pan broom. thank you for the reply

Hang in here for more advice.

I'm not a cat user and likely better advice will be posted later today. I have read in the past that flames hitting the combustor may be a bad thing so I passed it along. I think just brushing it off may not be a good enough cleaning and lightly using compressed air may do a better job of cleaning all the way through the cat.

thanks i'll try that today, this is my only source of heat so i need to fix it asap. thanks again

I don't have a cat in either of my stoves, but when they start to puff I start getting the ladder out and clean my chimney. The chimney on my insert is always clean but the cap gets clogged after 3 months of burning.

CHIMNEY IS MOST LIKELY PLUGGING UP!!!!!
Mine started that last February and when I checked, chimney was nearly plugged. Please get it cleaned soon! Chimney fires suck.
If you have a regular damper on the back of the stove, try running it with the internal damper OPEN bypassing the CAT. You'll burn more wood than normal but less than you are now. Monday when it warms up let the fire die a good bit then remove the top/center section that holds the thermometer, by taking out the therm then turn the key-way 90 degrees and lift the edge with butter knife.
NEVER do anything with the CAT except blow it out carefully. They are expensive, as with all C/Dutchwest stove parts.

I have a 25 year old FA455, the biggest they used to make. My CAT is shot, has been for two years. STove still works great but with old gaskets and such my burn times are down around 5 hours. I try to run mine around 800 + or -.

Thanks alot, I'll give those things a try, jack the top of my stove is all one peice, if i understod you correct you wanted me to take it off and clean the cat, if i look inside i have what they call a baffel with 4 bolts, maby i should take that off and try to cleane it that way. jack i fished a couple tournaments in main, on Cobs lake, i cant remember the place we stayed but it was great i was culling by 10:00 am. thanks again

Hi, newby here, I've been able to answer all my questions just by reading, great site. I do have a woodstove question. I have a dutchwest xlarge #2462, 2 years old, catalist, it's been a great stove, 10-11 hours burne times. Just recently it started puffin back (just little puffs) and the burn times are like 4 hours tops, and the thermomiture(spelled wronge im sure) on top for the combuster wont get over 800 deg. (usaly at 1400) it was installed by stove shop, 8" pipe strait up (no bends) Any help would be great. Thanks in advance:confused:

====

WOW That sounds awfully hot, what are you callng the combuster???

Widowmaker, The Dutchwest stoves have the thermo inserted in the top of the stove and a probe INSIDE right above the firebox.
His stove is running well within parameters the manufacturer allows!

Gramp, I live five minutes from the south end of Cobbossee. You probably stayed at Lakeside Motel & Cabins.
www.lakesidelodging.com
Sorry about the confusion, my stove has a removable center piece 8X11" with the thermo in the center.

Latest posts

Back