Construction damage to sugar maple roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belonagaster

Reaction score
Hi - I'm in contract to purchase a home with a magnificent old sugar maple on the property. I do not own the home yet. The seller is installing a new septic system and unfortunately the trench they will dig to replace the pipes is within the CRZ, as is the location of the tank (in some areas maybe about 6 feet from the trunk). Supposedly the new tank will go into the same hole as the old tank, and is only a little deeper and wider, but I'm sure digging the trench will completely destroy all the roots in its path - and I'm sure no one is going to take the trouble to make careful clean cuts.

The tree is huge, and is one of the things I love most about the house. Since I don't own the house I have no control over how the work is done, and I'm three hours away so can't pop in to check on the progress. I did express my deep concern to the seller's agent and he discussed it with the engineer. However I have little faith that the contractor and workers will put much effort into minimizing damage.

So my question is, after all is said and done, is there anything I can do to help the tree recover? At that point is it worth hiring an arborist or is it just too late to make a difference? I was thinking at least to make sure someone waters it asap.

Thanks in advance!

maple.1.png

maple.2.png

If the seller's redoing the septic as a condition of sale (and why else would they?)you do have influence. Look at the property and find somewhere else for the tank and pipes.

If you're 'in contract' you should be able to specify what happens. Yes an arborist could help by drawing the line for a crz necessary for this tree. What region are you in?

If the seller's redoing the septic as a condition of sale (and why else would they?)you do have influence. Look at the property and find somewhere else for the tank and pipes.

If you're 'in contract' you should be able to specify what happens. Yes an arborist could help by drawing the line for a crz necessary for this tree. What region are you in?

Thanks for the reply. The house is in the Berkshires - they already had an engineer design the system, and the leach field was just installed. They have now agreed to try to re-use the pipes entering the tank so that a new trench does not have to be dug in that area closest to the tree. Without being there to check in on the work, I'm not confident that I can influence it that much - it does seem too late to have the plan changed, unless we were willing to pay for new design, extra length of pipework, arborist consultation, the time delay, etc - which until we are approved for the loan, and sure that everything will proceed smoothly to closing, I am reluctant to do. We will know within a couple of weeks. I have made it very clear to all involved that the tree is extremely important to me.

I will reach out to the contractor myself. Worst case scenario, is there anything I can do post-construction that will increase the tree's chances of survival? There is a caretaker who can come out to the property in the meantime. Watering is clearly important but I have heard conflicting opinions regarding mulching. Anything else?

You can do a lot to invigorate the roots. What conflict is there about mulching? See www.treesaregood.com for basic advice. The leach field may have done serious damage already; how far from the trunk does it start?

I'll be there in February...

The leach field starts about 60 feet from the trunk, maybe a little more. But I'm not sure how much of that distance has also been compacted by machinery.
As for the mulching I've read a lot recommending it, but thought that I had read some people saying it deprives the roots of oxygen? I guess I'll see in maybe another two weeks what the extent of the visible damage is - though I understand it can take years for a tree to die from this kind of damage.

I checked out the link you sent - some good information - thank you! I will try to get the tree watered as soon as possible, and will mulch when I can.

Latest posts

Back