consultation help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i'm a certified arborist trying to make the transition from tree work to consulting. does anyone have any suggestions on some books that would help educate me further? i'm also looking for something that would help give me some kind of structure to my reports. any advice will help -thanks

Attend the ASCA Academy. A week of intense learning and you'll come out of it a lot better report writer than when you went in.

Consider joining ASCA. Definately attend the Academy that they sponsor. I think you will find that it will be one of the more interesting and useful events you have ever paid for. The Acedemy consistently gets good reviews from attendees.

Consider getting the BCMA certification from ISA. It is a good educational stepping stone and will look good on your CV.

Ah...a CV do you have one? They are not easy documents to prepare and maintain.

Other advise is; to go slow, not to confuse selling tree work with consulting, don't take any legal cases until you are really sure that this is something you want to do, and finally.....memorize the following phrase: "I don't know, but I can try and find out".

Good luck hope to see you at ASCA. Scott

Scott, what is C.V. and is insurance recommended for consulting. If so, what type and how much does this cost?

a cv is a resume', a description of your training and work experience. Document everything; it all counts!

when you consult, errors and omissions insurance is good to have.

Scott gave you good advice; I'm not as high on ASCA as he is but you should know what is taught at the academy if you plan to sell your opinions, Independent of your contracting work.

The abbreviation c.v. stands for the Latin words curriculum vitae. Yeah, it's like a resume but unlike the one or two page limit for a resume, the rule of thumb is the longer the better. Here's an example of one that I was looking at recently.

Nickrosis said:
the rule of thumb is the longer the better. Here's an example of one[/url] that I was looking at recently.

So Nick is that gonna be your new ground man?:clap:

Re longer, yeah I've been told that you should put in everything you've written in the last ten years. as you can see, it'll go on and on for some.

Key deal on those is to be 100% Accurate. Any fudging can really bite you in the butt, especially if you're going to testify.

wow, thanks for the advice, i have looked into the arborist news articles and they are really helpful. it looks like the last asca academy was in february and i can't find a next date so i'm just gonna keep looking into that. the c.v. how in depth is it supposed to go? i mean should i include every project i have ever worked on consulting with landscape architects? i assume this is a yes looking back at the previous threads. my next question is, can anybody recomend some classes or schools i should go to? i have my bachelors, but not in arboriculture, it's in earth science.

i have looked into the arborist news articles and they are really helpful.

so buy the book!

it looks like the last asca academy was in february and i can't find a next date

feb 23-7 sacramento ca: http://www.asca-consultants.org/

can anybody recomend some classes or schools i should go to?

I recommend the School of Hard Knox. Touch Trees!

Nickrosis said:
The abbreviation c.v. stands for the Latin words curriculum vitae. Yeah, it's like a resume but unlike the one or two page limit for a resume, the rule of thumb is the longer the better. Here's an example of one that I was looking at recently.

after skimming that CV, i have decided i have to ask myself, "And what have you accomplished with your life, Trin?"

in my profession, and i imagine it would add to the CV in this case as well, you need to list all classes you take... so if you attend any class that applies to your consulting field, you list it as well (course name, instructor, date taken, location)... this is critical for court to be qualified as an expert witness... gives you more credibility

Latest posts

Back