contradicting posts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kallaste

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read all of the posts on the e-tec husky saws. Some say that a muffler mod wont help them. They also say that the cat muffler is less restrictive than the standard mufflers. Also I am hearing that the engine was designed to run leaner than standard saws and not to richen them up.
Other posts say just the opposite. A few have actually done muffler mods on the Rancher and posted a noticed increase in power.
So lets hear it whats correct and whats not!
I have a hard time believing that a cat muffler is less restrictive. If it were, couldn't the carb be adjusted w/out doing a muffler mod in order to obtain more power. Running lean. ie plug burning white or light tan could still damage the saw by causing scoring or seizure.
Correct me if missing something.

Thanks steve

Hi kallaste. I am a believer in tossing the cat muffler and using a pre E-tech muffler as a starting point for a muffler mod. The cat muffler by their design are built to stay hot so as to burn off pollutants. They can obviously be modded to allow them to breathe easier. However, you will still have some of the catalytic element remaining to trap heat. The catalyst itself is nothing that you will want to breath or otherwise ingest, bad stuff.

I most have missed the posts in which it was claimed that a cat muffler was less restrictive than a non-cat one. I guess it would be safe for me to say that most modern mufflers are restrictive period.

Designed to run leaner? I would call that living on the edge. Running leaner may be good for emissions but it definitely will not add to engine life. Limiter caps are installed on carbs to deter owners from properly tuning their saws. Fortunately we AS members are not easily deterred and are willing to help one another with our knowledge, our experiences,and our opinions for the betterment of all. :cheers:

Urbicide said:
Hi kallaste. I am a believer in tossing the cat muffler and using a pre E-tech muffler as a starting point for a muffler mod. The cat muffler by their design are built to stay hot so as to burn off pollutants. They can obviously be modded to allow them to breathe easier. However, you will still have some of the catalytic element remaining to trap heat. The catalyst itself is nothing that you will want to breath or otherwise ingest, bad stuff.

I most have missed the posts in which it was claimed that a cat muffler was less restrictive than a non-cat one. I guess it would be safe for me to say that most modern mufflers are restrictive period.

Designed to run leaner? I would call that living on the edge. Running leaner may be good for emissions but it definitely will not add to engine life. Limiter caps are installed on carbs to deter owners from properly tuning their saws. Fortunately we AS members are not easily deterred and are willing to help one another with our knowledge, our experiences,and our opinions for the betterment of all. :cheers:

what he said, just throw non-cat muffler to it and it is the same saw as non e-tech´s...

Back