Controlling dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is a way to control the amount of dust from burning wood in a stove that is left everywhere in the house....

What do you do?

Trying to convince the "One-that-must-be-obeyed" that a wood stove would make a great addition to the front room. But in her younger years the stove her folks had filled the house with dust.....

Scott (wanna watch the flames) B

hire a cleaner.;)

on the other hand, warm house, free fuel( if you cut your own) . or a little dust. no brainer if you ask me.

Tell her the new wood stoves are "dust free"...
Yes, that's a lie... But, by the time she figures that out, it'll be too late to do anything about it...:msp_blink:

a fireplace is a good way to find out how bad your wife's OCCD is..

dust really depends on how much draft you got going. my fireplace doesn't put much dust in the house.

Tell her the new wood stoves are "dust free"...
Yes, that's a lie... But, by the time she figures that out, it'll be too late to do anything about it...:msp_blink:

Good one, not that I need this particular excuse about wood stoves, but I think my wife would actually buy the new technology thing.

I used to run Jotuls and they were always terrible for dust. Basically the larger the door, the more dust will come into the room. Also, the ash needs help getting through the grate into the ash pan, and it makes a ton of dust when you stir it.

Check out the stove I run now. Has a higher draw because there is no reburn system. Has a smaller load door in relation to the size of the stove. Also, has a shaker grate to get the ash into the pan without making a mess. This Round Oak 18 generates 1/10 of the dust that the Jotul used to make. On top of that, it generates more heat and burns just as long or longer than a Jotul Firelight.

004-15.jpg

My wife states that the dust from the wood stove is way less then from our previous open fire place. We live in the woods, with two large indoor outdoor dogs.. if dust was all we dealt with we would be pretty happy..lol

I crack the door open for 5-10 seconds depending on the amount of ash that may be sitting next to the door. Pulls alot of the ash back inside. My wife on the other hand opens the door up imediatly and ash goes everywhere. It was funny listening to her when she and my daughter were cleaning up the living room yesterday. " I was going to dust, AGAIN, but what is the point!!" I have explained to her probably 40 times to crack the door for a few seconds, but what do I know....

Last edited:
A stove with a removable ash pan would be a good choice. I find shoveling the ashes out is what puts the most ash in the air.

I find I hate the ash door on my Napoleon. It's too small so I am using the prodder to force the ashes down the hole while wiggling the handle for the ash door.

So in the end you have the door open just enough, and with the EPA stove the exit for everything to go up the chimney is in the front of the stove, which equates in all the ash dust coming to the door when working it.

On my parents older stove insert it isn't that way and there is a ton less dust.

shove a shovel in & cover with wet towel be4 pulling the shovel

dry air

All the dust isn't from the stove ash. The dry air from heating with wood creates more dust in your house than any other type of heat. I been using a vaporizer, putting moisture back in the room that the the stove is in. Seems to help, but I still usually crack open the back door and let the dust suck right out while we're dealing with the ash.

ZZTop :rockn:

Latest posts

Back