Converted a fireplace insert into a woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had taken a friend a few truckloads of wood and she gave me this old rusted hulk of a fireplace insert that her ex-husband had in their garage.

I cut the front frame off it. Welded feet on it
attachment.php

Replaced the door gasket.

attachment.php

Replaced the firebrick(they don't give those away do they? $4/each)

attachment.php

Welded threaded rod on and fixed the round dampers on the front.

Gave it a coat of high temperature stove paint.

attachment.php

I am going to stick it in the cabin out at the woodlot.
Timing is good too as it is supposed to get in the high minus teens with windchill for the next week or so.

Last edited:
Nice project there Mike, looks great! Is there a plate (deflector?) inside under the chimney hole, just curious. Also, since you're handy with welding, you might consider adding a small flat tab on each of your vent caps as my experience with those is that they can get overtightened and can be a pain to loosen if you don't have a big monkey wrench handy, that way you can use a small cresent (or w-h-y) to free it, I've seen several with 'wings' added too, small thot. Happy heating!

:cheers:

Serge

Is there a plate (deflector?) inside under the chimney hole, just curious. Also, since you're handy with welding, you might consider adding a small flat tab on each of your vent caps as my experience with those is that they can get overtightened and can be a pain to loosen

There is a frame inside for a deflector plate but the plate itself is missing. I did not have any plate steel handy to put one in.

Good Idea on the tabs for the vent caps.

Latest posts

Back