Converting a 261 to 262

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdcongdon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a near new looking 261 for $120 today. What do I need to do to convert it to a 262?

I can't figure out how to search for the threads.

Thx. Sorry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw that the clutch will hold up. Any suggestion as to the piston manufacturer?

Better muffler? Buy one or open this one up?

I saw that the clutch will hold up. Any suggestion as to the piston manufacturer?

Better muffler? Buy one or open this one up?

@Definitive Dave can get you a meteor piston. Look at the top of your cylinder and see if there is an "A" or a "B" stamped in the center. Sometimes you need a bit of scotchbrite to see it. That's the piston measurement you need. The two sizes are only .0004" different, but the OEM had to do it for a reason.

The dual clutch is just fine.

The only muffler variations I've had in my hands was a removable and non removable deflector type. I've seen some have a baffled muffler as well, though I've never held one in my hands and have ported about 10 of the model.

If you have the removable deflector, remove it and use a step drill to drill out the the hole underneath to around 3/4". If it's not removable, it's a PITA. You have to cut the deflector and peel it back to access beneath. Then fold back and braze or weld. Add some coarser mesh screen while you're at it.

I don't have it in my hands yet so I guess no ordering ahead of time. Thx drf

Squish.....have something to do with compression?

On another note a pawn shop buddy gave me a 262 cheap. It's rough. No compression. Threads gone in bottom case. As my son has absconded with the long t allens I haven't taken it all the way apart yet. Tools ordered yesterday. Looks like enough meat to helicoil the threads. It's a complete saw.

Latest posts

Back