Convince me that a hard hat is necessary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll put my two cents in for the face shield. You get whacked in the face while limbing a few times and you'll be buying a helmet with mesh.:mad: That is once you stop cursing and throwing stuff. Man that :censored:hurts! :angry:
Not only does it hurt, but it leaves a lasting impression as well. I have the Snaped Off Teeth to prove it. Bruce.:chainsaw:

Wow! I guess you didn't get the customary warning welt on the cheek or bloody nose. That tree must have HATED you!
I've never tested my helmet (except walking under stuff..KNOCK!:dizzy: ) but my face shield has saved me pro'lly 50 times!

I took a shot to the helmet yesterday. Was up in a small pine and cut a 3" leader standing straight up and it went straight down. Never expected it to go straight as an arrow and stuck in the ground 30' below. First for me but I'm sure it won't be the last.

I took a shot to the helmet yesterday. Was up in a small pine and cut a 3" leader standing straight up and it went straight down. Never expected it to go straight as an arrow and stuck in the ground 30' below. First for me but I'm sure it won't be the last.
Years ago, prior to the safety head ware that we have today, How many heads traumas, could be averted by to Today's safety standards could have been averted.
I'll give you a prime example. Take a look at what Jacques Plant, did to hockey, when he first put on the goalie mask, and how many stitches to the face, and head have been averted since them.
I remember Gerry Cheevers, drawing where he was hit on the mask, stitches marks to show where he would have stitches.
Thank Goodness that your OK, and not another injured statistic.
Bruce.

When talking to dear ol' dad I got the "well if a branch falls on you would you rather have a bump on the head or a broken neck" speech. Followed by "If you are careful and watch what you are doing like I taught you, you shouldn't have anything fall on you". "If it looks dangerous, find another tree to pick on".

PS: post #100.

That logic is like not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle so you can be thrown free from the wreckage, is just doesn't work that way. I have been hit in the head many times from small stuff that would leave a big bump or even stitches with out a helmet. I have never had a large bump or stitches though and I fully believe it is from the hard hat/helmet use. I have 3 scars that run from my forehead to my neck and 3 titanium plates that hold my head together because I did not wear a helmet on my bicycle and was hit by a car, again head protection would have prevented this. PPE's should be used like a system, leave one component out of the system and it is useless. Wear a hard hat!

That logic is like not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle so you can be thrown free from the wreckage, is just doesn't work that way. I have been hit in the head many times from small stuff that would leave a big bump or even stitches with out a helmet. I have never had a large bump or stitches though and I fully believe it is from the hard hat/helmet use. I have 3 scars that run from my forehead to my neck and 3 titanium plates that hold my head together because I did not wear a helmet on my bicycle and was hit by a car, again head protection would have prevented this. PPE's should be used like a system, leave one component out of the system and it is useless. Wear a hard hat!
OUCH!!! Glad your still with us, and are OK. A lot of people wind up seriously mentally impaired form a head injury. You were Lucky!
Bruce.

Interesting thread. I'll admit that I also never wear a hard-hat, but do typcially have all the other safety gear. It seems that the two things that would escalate the need for a hat are when working with others (rather than alone), and felling a tree (rather than just cutting wood already on the ground).

Regardless, it's something I should look into.

Hey! Tuxedo NY! I'll see you at the farmers market! No hard hat required there.:cheers:

I usually don't wear a hard hat, but when felling in dense cover, a widow maker can fall any time. When I do wear one, I wear it backwards because the bill blocks upward vision. It's the ones you don't see that get you.

Nobody has written about the other uses for a hardhat.
1. Dipping water up to pour on your head or use to wash up with when spiked out.
2. Watering your dog.
3. I've packed water over to help put out a spot fire when near a creek (prounounced crick.)
4. Digging with.
5. Emphasizing an important point...throw it or kick it.
6. They can work as a pillow.
7. Use it as a chair.
8. Use it to shade the sun.
9. Use it as a target to site your compass on.
10. Use it as a basket, I keep my gloves in it when in the rig.

All of the above should be done when nothing is around to knock you in the head. The compass trick can be done with it on the head, but it also takes another person unless you plan on really short shots.

1. Dipping water up to pour on your head or use to wash up with when spiked out.
2. Watering your dog.
3. I've packed water over to help put out a spot fire when near a creek (prounounced crick.)
4. Digging with.
7. Use it as a chair.

All of the above should be done when nothing is around to knock you in the head. The compass trick can be done with it on the head, but it also takes another person unless you plan on really short shots.
LOL, Ive done 1,5 and 10. It don't hurt no where near as bad when ya drop kick the helmet instead of the saw.

To keep your cigarette dry?

I don't smoke, but I always remember a conversation on TV between to famous British climbers - Joe Brown and Don Whillans when Don arrived on a motorcyle in the rain.

"Is that 'elmet to protect yer 'ed or keep yer fag dry?" asked Brown. "Well its to keep me fag dry init".

Last edited:
Well it would have been Right Between the Eyes.

On Friday, I was out behind my barn, sawing fire wood with my Buss Saw, on my huge concrete pad, I used to store manure on. I was cutting a chunk of wood, that had stress cracks in the piece, when a chunk of it ripped lose, the size of a Silver Dollar, got caught in the blade, and flew back with enough force to dent the mesh face shield. If it would not have been for that face shield on the helmet, Lord knows what I would have lost. Mabey an eye. I'm convinced that the helmet needs to be worn, even cutting with this machine, as well as chain saws. Bruce.

On Friday, I was out behind my barn, sawing fire wood with my Buss Saw, on my huge concrete pad, I used to store manure on. I was cutting a chunk of wood, that had stress cracks in the piece, when a chunk of it ripped lose, the size of a Silver Dollar, got caught in the blade, and flew back with enough force to dent the mesh face shield. If it would not have been for that face shield on the helmet, Lord knows what I would have lost. Mabey an eye. I'm convinced that the helmet needs to be worn, even cutting with this machine, as well as chain saws. Bruce.
You just never know, Glad you had it on.

2. Watering your dog.
4. Digging with.
7. Use it as a chair.

11. Use it to try and keep a Hungry Timber Wolf busy chewing on, while trying to get clean getaway.
12. A big soup bowl.
13.Good ear plugs to help cut down thew noise when the wife is yelling at you.
Bruce.

First:No I do not where one (even tho I should)
Second: My Dad had the top of a tree land on his head. He was not wearing a hat, and it not only split hit head open but also broak his neck. If it wasn't for the 4 feet of snow he was standing on it probably would have been worse. It drove him down past his waist

First:No I do not where one (even tho I should)
Second: My Dad had the top of a tree land on his head. He was not wearing a hat, and it not only split hit head open but also broak his neck. If it wasn't for the 4 feet of snow he was standing on it probably would have been worse. It drove him down past his waist
Ouch!!! Is he OK now? Bruce.

Latest posts

Back