Cook chicken in the wood stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken05

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Chicken cooked over a wood fire is one of lifes simple pleasures. Anybody ever cook it in their wood stove? I was thinking if the fire was down to coals and you put in on a rack... of course then you have grease dripping on your fire brick. Maybe a drip tray.
Haven't tried it yet. Anybody?

well--youd want to make sure of the wood your using---as you might get off flavors--and like you said--the fire would have to be down a ways--dont believe the grease would bother--except to start a fire like on the grill----

I always use an indirect grilling technique for chicken. Stops it from being charred yet cook it all the way through. I use hardwood lumps charcoal in my grill and get some of the most perfectly golden chicken off of it regularly.

I have thought about doing just this thing. I burn a lot of oak and alder here, and that would be great for cooking dinner. I will have to try it now. Maybe write a cookbook; How to Cook in Your OWB!

All you would need is a lower coal fire and a wire rack on a stand. The meat would be smoked a lot before it fully cooked as well. Maybe crack the door while the chicken is in there to keep the smoke down. Or up, rather. The grease would just burn off. Maybe back east cooking in the OWB would get people to stop complaining about the smoke???

Now, I have a good a wire rack that will work... I have chicken in the freezer... have to brun alder and oak... no pine or fir for a day... keep the fire low in the afternoon, don't let anyone else add any wood... cook on a mider above freezing day... yah! Its a GO Houston!

I think you are on to something Windthrown. My indoor woodstove has a fairly large firebox about 20x20x20 but to cook chicken in it the draft I think now would have to be very low. For me leaving the loading door wide open cuts the draft way down, but also lets some smoke back into the house. I will have to do some experimenting.
Your OWB might be just perfect for the job. Plus every dog for miles around will become your best friend.

My wife does this all the time. Not so often Chicken but very often pork loin, brawts, dogs, sometimes steaks. Until recently we only had a charcoal grill so in the winter it was grill in the wood stove time. Now we have a gas grill and we go ahead and weather the cold. We would get more "grilling food" smell in the house then smoke but I prefer to smell the grilling outside, not inside. Still mighty tasty when there is snow on the ground.

I Get a good fire going, 400 deg or so on the stove pipe thermometer then tie a piece of twine around the chickens ankle's and lower it down the chimney. Give it forty minutes or so and bon apitite! :cheers:

fine print: All stunts performed by trained professionals...do not try this at home. :buttkick:

I don't know about IN the woodburner, but you can make a heck of a good stew on top with a cast iron dutch oven.

I would go with the on top cooking but if that is not hot enough I say go inside on a coal bed or suspended with a rack.
I have an OWB and you would overheat it with the door open but I have shoveled out some coals into a big clay pot that has a lid and is made by a local pottery house.
the coals lay in the bottom and I cover them with wood chips (hickory) and through in a few potatoes and a chicken in foil and an hour later your eating.

I have a rack that fits perfectly above the coals inside my woodstove and cook steaks in it quite often. I actually finished some ribs in it on sunday. If you get a really nice clean bed of coals using a good wood, maple for instance, you can throw your steak right on the coals to cook it. We used to do that a lot when we were camping. As for cooking chicken i don't think i'd try it. Chicken needs to cook low and slow. I don't think the results would be that good.

Last year when I was using my homemade boiler, I'd often scoop out a few small shovefuls of coals into a small old cast iron pot I had and cook hot dogs or hamburgers over it. It'd usually be way too hot inside the firebox to cook anything properly, but scooping the coals out into the pot solved that problem. Sort of a redneck way of doing things, but it worked just fine.

I have thought about how to do ribs in my owb. By building a fire with some quality wood (apple etc) in the ash box below the shaker grates, fabricating a rack to be placed in the firebox, you could smoke a half case in 3-4 hours. No need to use the blower, just keep the ash door open a couple of inches to keep air flow active. A thermometer to keep the temp 180-220. Can't wait for spring....

Buy one of those camp style dutch ovens with the legs and cook it inside the stove( if the stove is big enough) otherwise transfer the coals from your stove and cook it outdoors either using a grill (if the wood you are using is ok to smoke with) or in the camp style dutch oven with the coals from your stove. I cook food this way quite often when you get excess coaling from very cold weather and you need to remove coals from the stove.

You guys are really making me hungry!! Nothing like cooking on real wood, I have done it on my grill, have to let the stuff go down to coals but if you can get mesquite or apple, hickory ect. theirs just nothing better or more primal about a good tri-tip cooked slowly on good wood!! My dad used to cure whole chickens in mortons tenderquick (follow package or recipie) for a day or so in the fridge then smoke them on hickory in the smoker (low heat) and they were amazing juicy, and tasted like ham or bacon!! I would love to build a outdoor masonry oven for baking or barbecue looks kinda expensive and complicated though!! For now the barbeque will have to do. I do know people who cook in their bonfire when they camp with just aluminum foil or a dutch oven I tried it and just burned everything up!! My grandma in Kentucky owned a small store up in the hills and she had potbelly stove in the middle for heat when we were kids she would fry us all Bologna sandwiches on it and I to this day swear i've never been able to duplicate it at home same with her sausage gravy! Good memories. Take care.

Irish- Cooking food in a wood cook stove and/or a camp style dutch oven surely is an art to be able to perfect it. The temperature can be regulated by the amount you open the door of the wood cook oven or how many and where you place the coals/briquettes on the camp dutch oven. If you are roasting there is also a trivet you place in the dutch oven so there is not any direct contact with outside of the oven which will prevent burning. However, if you are a novice at it- it is best to braise/stew your food.

Yeah the dutch oven thing is interesting thanks for the info I may buy one for myself and give it a try. I don't remember the name of the show but I seen one where that was basically all the guy used to cook with think it was something like campfire chef or cooker or something neat though. It was on our Dish Network RDF channel a couple years back. Thanks

Cooking Steaks on Wood Stove

I've never broiled chicken but I do broil steaks and bake potatoes on the wood stove. I made my own grill using common steel from the hardware store and did it without a welder, believe it or not.

My stove grill has two long 3' handles made from 1/2" hollow square stock with walnut wood attached to the ends to grab hold of. The end of the each square stock handle that goes into the stove is then drilled with a dozen or so 1/4" blind holes spaced about an inch apart. Then there are two holes that go all the way through on the far end and closest grill point of the square stock handles.

Inside the blind holes I inserted 1/4" round rods, about 16" long that are trapped by the blind holes. The two holes on the outside are for threaded rod, bolted tight that squeeze and hold everything together. Now I bolted four short vertical square stock legs (about 6") to the handles that serve as a rest to hold the food level in the stove and over the hot coals.

Presto! A wood fired steak grill that works like a charm. Now I'm hungry.

Foil

We've cooked many dinners in foil. Anyone else do this?? Chicken is a favorite. I generally just layout a sheet of foil, put some 1/2"(ish) chopped potatoes to cover a circle in the middle of the foil slightly larger than the chicken breast, with the potatoes I mix onions, peppers, salt, butter, pepper, whatever else you want. Then lay the chicken on top, "cup" the foil up so that you can cover the top of the chick with the same potatoe mixture, then close the foil tightly. I usually take another piece of foil to wrap it a second time, do it with the "seams" opposing. 20 minutes at 400 and then flip and give about 20 more min.....

Shortly after moving here to the county I tried cooking on the woodstove (sorta).

My wife was on evening shift and I was on days. Told her that *I* would cook dinner and *she* could take it easy after she gets home. She went to work and bragged to all her workmates that her husband was cooking her a dinner and she couldn't wait to get home.

When she got home I had a table set and two chairs. They were in front of the woodstove.
I opened the woodstove door, handed her one of two straightened coat-hangers and began to unwrap a package of hot-dog weiners.

She has N E V E R let me live that one down!
:dizzy:

Back