Wood fired pizza oven w/ cherry wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got to use our new pizza oven today.I had never cooked/smoked with cherry before.If you ever get the chance to cook a pizza over cherry wood,do it!!A bit of sweet flavor to the meats.Hickory has always seemed a bit overbearing to me,but I do use it mixed with apple sometimes with pork/beef.Can't wait to try cherry on some chicken.

Cherry has worked well for us on everything. Mild sweet smell that everybody nearby enjoys during the cook. Best part is that it's everywhere here.
I cut tons of wild cherry each year when the leaves are gone.None of the farmers want them in the fields because of potential poisoning of their cattle.So I get good wood,good saw logs,and good food as well.

So, here in SC we have the wild cherry and I have never attempted to cook/smoke with it as when using in the wood stove it doesn't have that great of an odor to me. We use it mostly to bank with at night as it seems to hold well. Maybe our wild cherry are different? How long do you season it? Thanks, Ed

So, here in SC we have the wild cherry and I have never attempted to cook/smoke with it as when using in the wood stove it doesn't have that great of an odor to me. We use it mostly to bank with at night as it seems to hold well. Maybe our wild cherry are different? How long do you season it? Thanks, Ed
Let it season at least a year for cooking.When first cut,cherry does have a strong yet sweet smell.After it dries,it takes a on a sweet mild smell that is quite nice.When I cooked with cherry the other day,I made sure to split the bark off as well.

Thanks! I have some and will set aside and debark. Use mostly Oak and mix in some apple when I have it and that turns out some mighty fine Boston butts and ribs. Looking forward to trying the cherry too! 😋

Thanks! I have some and will set aside and debark. Use mostly Oak and mix in some apple when I have it and that turns out some mighty fine Boston butts and ribs. Looking forward to trying the cherry too! 😋
Well you have made me hungry.Might try some bacon on the smoker tonight.Nice cool night finally here in WV.Good luck with the cookin!!

I’m going to do some pizza tomorrow.

I don’t have a fancy pizza over (but wish I did) so I use a pizza stone in the electric fan oven inside.

Mixed up a poolish just now to ferment. Some say you can just leave it to ferment...but not me.

I watch it...and have a few beers as I do. For 12 hours, lol.

By then I wouldn’t notice if it WAS cooked with cherry wood, lol.

I’ll try to remember to post a pic or two tomorrow.

I’ll try to remember to post a pic or two tomorrow.
OK, so I made the dough balls, they are proofing now.

If you wanna know why the sizes are inconsistent...you can just shut the hell up! Lol.

No, seriously, I messed up converting from metric to US measures for the photo, so some are in grams, some are in ounces...

E6412EE4-6965-4E72-8DDE-AB0E7D1223AB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back