Cooking on or in your wood stove!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJON

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How many of you all cook with your wood stove? We make baked potatoes and corn on the cob and other various vegetables inside ours. They taste so much better than any other way I cook them. Anybody got other ideas on what and how to cook with our stoves?

Burgers, Steaks & Baked Potato's

I make burgers, steaks, and baked potato's all the time in mine. What I do is double wrap each burger, steak or potato in aluminum foil and throw it right into the hot coals. Let it cook about 3 minutes or so, flip it over with the poker for another 3-5 minutes and most times its done and ready to eat. Potato's take a little longer then the meat, but the taste can't be beat.

My grandfather used to make vegetable soup on his Fisher Papa Bear every week during the winter months on his. He was a very good cook!!

Craig

I have a soapstone stove, so the top of the stove doesn't get hot enough to boil water or fry anything up. But it does do well with slowly cooking soups and stews.

Inside the stove is a different story. I load the stove up with a nice bunch of oak in the morning. When I get home from work there are heavy coals on the bottom of the stove. I borrow one of the grill racks from my gas grill and slip it inside the stove, supported by a few fire brinks to keep it well off the coals.

I will split a whole chicken in half, place it on the grill and close the door of the stove. It not only grills the chicken, it also bakes it at the same time. Tastes better than a bbq joint.

Steaks, burgers, sausage and dogs are all grilled right on the rack just as if you were using the gas grill on the deck. Gives the best tasting meat possible.

Whole potatoes are wrapped in foil and dropped down in the coals. After about 45 minutes, jab one with a fork to see if they are done.

I have also "baked" a hole pork butt and minced it for bbq. But that took a lot of time and coal management. The stove couldn't be too hot or too cold.

Last night I made up a couple of batches of pizza dough. Mixed up the bread flour in a glass mixing bowl, added yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil. Placed the bowl next to the wood stove and let it rise. Tamped it down and let it rise another two times. Tonight I plan to preheat a pizza stone in the stove. Then bake homemade pizza inside my woodstove.

Do I cook with my stove? Every other night I would say!

I have a soapstone stove, so the top of the stove doesn't get hot enough to boil water or fry anything up. But it does do well with slowly cooking soups and stews.

I do the same with our soapstone stove. It also makes a great warming rack. Especially for the holidays - when we cook for the entire family we end putting putting dishes that guests bring right on the stove to warm them, or things that come out of the oven before the turkey. But its interesting to hear how others use their stove for cooking. I might give the potatoes a try.

Tim

I make burgers, steaks, and baked potato's all the time in mine. What I do is double wrap each burger, steak or potato in aluminum foil and throw it right into the hot coals. Let it cook about 3 minutes or so, flip it over with the poker for another 3-5 minutes and most times its done and ready to eat. Potato's take a little longer then the meat, but the taste can't be beat.

My grandfather used to make vegetable soup on his Fisher Papa Bear every week during the winter months on his. He was a very good cook!!

Craig

Dad-burn-it this thread is making me hungry and I already ate my supper! :biggrin:
The thought of that vegetable soup and a cake of corn bread is driving me crazy!

I've been experimenting with marinating a pork roast in vinegar and spices to make a Carolina style BBQ pulled pork in my big Lodge Dutch oven, with varying amounts of success (sometimes tasty, sometimes just too much vinegar). I've made beef stew and soups on the stove before as well during power outages.

Now you have me thinking of making my chili on the stove instead of the crock pot tomorrow....

We have cooked roast, it was good. And the kids love roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.

During the week long power-out from October's freak snow storm we had the stove going continuously. Heated/boiled all the cooking and washing water, cooked or reheated most everything from omlettes, to pasta and steak, and actually baked a pizza, on a slightly elevated tray placed directly under the stove.
I'm shoppin' for a generator, nonetheless.

The place I live in used to be my Grand Parents summer cottage.
About 40 years ago Grandpa bought a Franklin stove and installed it.

It had an adjustable height, swing out cast iron grill.
It was absolutely the most controllable best cooking grill I've ever used.

The fact that it was in the main room and I could cook out during a blizzard was pretty cool too.

When I moved here full time, the old Franklin had to go.:msp_thumbdn:
It was an extreme wood hog, lucky to get a 6 hour burn , it was so leaky.

I still have it stored away, but not in use.

Tom

I've done Jalapeno poppers, baked potatoes, roasts in my OWB. Mostly now just transfer the coals from the OWB to my grill and do my grilling there. Sure saves on charcoal and nothing better than the flavor from cooking w/ wood.

All food here cooked by wood since Sept. Ca. 1900 cookstove w/6 lids.

Haven't bought bread since Nov. Oven great for baking. Our unit is good for diverse cookery. Great hearing about others modifying to take advantage of free cook heat!

I use the wood stove to heat soup daily at lunch.
Roasts are done in a dutch oven over a slow fire.
Toast believe it or not is great when done inside the stove. You just need a long handled rack.

Latest posts

Back