Copying Gaskets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsereds 621

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all.
Most here will have made a fresh gasket at sometime. I have not seen a satisfactory method for either transferring outline of part requiring new gasket to the paper, which never seems to be easy to me, or copying old gasket.
I'm sure somewhere here there will be useful info, but I am unable to locate it. I tried to scan the base of a part today, then print outline to paper with very limited results.
Someone must have cracked it, or maybe how to do it easily is common knowledge.
My earliest attempt (aged 11), was a "Marmite transfer marker goo" worked but very messy. I don't like Marmite.
Anyone care to share a simple marker fluid, system etc ?

I have had good success with the scan and print method.....not sure I have pics. I also just trace from a NOS or used one...one of the most useful tricks I use is to trace the outlines, holes and inner cavity. Then first thing is to cut all the bolt holes...I use leather punch pliers.....then cut out the inner cavity with an X-Acto knife and then finally cut the outside with scissors. The holes are hardest to cut without breakout that is why they get done first with lots of "meat" around them to eliminate ripping etc.

49 SP and 70E Build 086.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 087.jpg

Rubberstamp pads are your friend. Most gaskets can be copied using standard pad sizes, but when you need larger ones you may try a footprint pad.
Obviously the price difference between your local office supply highwayman and eBay can be staggering...

I did find a couple pics of my print method.....not very good pics but you can get the idea. These are for gaskets I use/need frequently....namely 49SP cyl base and carb to manifold gaskets. First I make a template on white 8.5 X 11" white paper....this is time consuming to get as many gaskets as possible out of the sheet of gasket material....but once the template is done you can make as many gaskets as needed or you can "Clone" the template and send a copy to someone else. Any way once done put the template in your scanner and cut a 8.5 X 11" X 1/32" thick gasket material and insert in the paper feed, hit copy. Pictured on the left is one of my templates for the afore mentioned 49SP gaskets....or the right is a scrap of gasket material that was printed from a previous template before I realized that I could get the carb gasket out of the center area of the base gasket...but you get the idea....works great for me....but again cut the gaskets as described in the previous post....the order of cutting is most important.

49 SP and 70E Build 090.jpg

I did find a couple pics of my print method.....not very good pics but you can get the idea. These are for gaskets I use/need frequently....namely 49SP cyl base and carb to manifold gaskets. First I make a template on white 8.5 X 11" white paper....this is time consuming to get as many gaskets as possible out of the sheet of gasket material....but once the template is done you can make as many gaskets as needed or you can "Clone" the template and send a copy to someone else. Any way once done put the template in your scanner and cut a 8.5 X 11" X 1/32" thick gasket material and insert in the paper feed, hit copy. Pictured on the left is one of my templates for the afore mentioned 49SP gaskets....or the right is a scrap of gasket material that was printed from a previous template before I realized that I could get the carb gasket out of the center area of the base gasket...but you get the idea....works great for me....but again cut the gaskets as described in the previous post....the order of cutting is most important.

View attachment 626141
Ha.... I shall be making a 49sp cyl base gasket this evening. So, first you to make a template. Not just so easy for a base gasket (protrusion) then copy, then print to suit. Go on then, save me hours, PM me a copy of yours, or post it here. There must be a way you could charge for access- data base of printable gasket sheets perhaps ! I promise I won't sell it on ! I had mastered holes, cutaways, exacto knife, good scissors, vast array of wheeled hole punches and wad cutting punches including making holes first, then inside cutouts, then finally outside shape to be only just visible by 32yo. Now buy only really good gasket paper (62) as it goes mouldy here, BUT making the template to start with can take hours.
Simpler for saws and car motors etc-- large tractor gearbox mating surface gaskets really were a challenge with dovetailed joints preferably above oil level !
Keep it coming, someone will have cracked scanning the item directly......In a month or two, it might be me !
Jim.

Robin, I think you sent me a copy of the case gasket for a 670 , still have it here somewhere in the archives, works good for small gaskets. Wish I had one for the 268 SilverStreak, gasket material was 3' long X 8" wide woven copper wire reinforced. Made a lot of gaskets for the 1920`s on up to the late 40`s farm and automotive engines.

Ha.... I shall be making a 49sp cyl base gasket this evening. So, first you to make a template. Not just so easy for a base gasket (protrusion) then copy, then print to suit. Go on then, save me hours, PM me a copy of yours, or post it here. There must be a way you could charge for access- data base of printable gasket sheets perhaps ! I promise I won't sell it on ! I had mastered holes, cutaways, exacto knife, good scissors, vast array of wheeled hole punches and wad cutting punches including making holes first, then inside cutouts, then finally outside shape to be only just visible by 32yo. Now buy only really good gasket paper (62) as it goes mouldy here, BUT making the template to start with can take hours.
Simpler for saws and car motors etc-- large tractor gearbox mating surface gaskets really were a challenge with dovetailed joints preferably above oil level !
Keep it coming, someone will have cracked scanning the item directly......In a month or two, it might be me !
Jim.

I don't have a copy of the templates digitally saved.....also transferring electronically may alter the sizes of the gaskets themselves...I know this can be a problem as when I order custom ground molder knives (woodworking) and fax or email a picture of the profile the company I deal with they always want me to accurately measure some part of the profile to check against what they receive. I will look at what I have on file when I get to the shop....it's been a while since I needed this info. as I have printed gaskets ahead.

Well, ran into a little trouble last night. While looking for something the correct diameter to create a circle the correct size on template, I came across an old favourite port glass...... it seemed a shame not to put it to the use for which it was originally intended, just for old times sake you understand.
Woke up late this morning to a bit of a headache and a perfect circle, cut in a perfectly made template and an intact port glass in the bed.
Luckily, the previous carb intake gasket (which I think would need ONE of my smaller vodka glasses) is intact enough for a template so no need for a repeat performance tonight.......although I might just knock out a few for a 621.
Cylinder is marked Mahle 44ZN11, would this be original, or a past replacement ?
Do you all use some sort of ht sealant for a base gasket, or fit dry ?

Well, ran into a little trouble last night. While looking for something the correct diameter to create a circle the correct size on template, I came across an old favourite port glass...... it seemed a shame not to put it to the use for which it was originally intended, just for old times sake you understand.
Woke up late this morning to a bit of a headache and a perfect circle, cut in a perfectly made template and an intact port glass in the bed.
Luckily, the previous carb intake gasket (which I think would need ONE of my smaller vodka glasses) is intact enough for a template so no need for a repeat performance tonight.......although I might just knock out a few for a 621.
Cylinder is marked Mahle 44ZN11, would this be original, or a past replacement ?
Do you all use some sort of ht sealant for a base gasket, or fit dry ?

Cylinder is either original or a genuine spare.
Base gaskets usually go on dry unless differently specified.

I don't have a copy of the templates digitally saved.....also transferring electronically may alter the sizes of the gaskets themselves...I know this can be a problem as when I order custom ground molder knives (woodworking) and fax or email a picture of the profile the company I deal with they always want me to accurately measure some part of the profile to check against what they receive. I will look at what I have on file when I get to the shop....it's been a while since I needed this info. as I have printed gaskets ahead.
Well, thanks for the tip. After many happy minutes I have managed to produce a sheet of gasket patterns suitable for my purposes. However, while I am able to save it to my laptop ok , by the time it is sent back to me it is reduced by around 15%. The calculations required to increase size till scale marker is printed correctly so far elude me. (must have been looking out of the window when we covered that, or more likely it went out of my head) However, I can't see it as likely I will need more than two sheets, which I now have.
For your interest, I have attempted to a attach a file for your perusal.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Jonsereds 49 Gaskets.pdf
    182 KB · Views: 20
I believe if you go into your printer settings and select print actual size rather than scale to paper size, you will have a accurate copy of the gasket. You just have to watch you margins

With my setup, (Mac/ultra budget printer /scanner ) it seems to need- print to scale- set to 100%,possibly 101%(not 95%) then print. I have now added a better scale to top of sheet. I can find no usable (to me) guidance for a simple job like this, quite why printer thinks I would like gaskets too small for the job after all escapes me. I have asked my dog if he has any ideas, and he says he'd sooner be without the noise of it running, so no.
This problem must occur all the time, I am a bit suprised that I cannot tell this document to carry this info and print only to original size. I can easily see how a factory's entire weeks production might be rejected by customer as the car door (for example) was a foot or two too small ! Hubble space telescope springs to mind, but cant dog's moulder blade grinder has obviously been there too.
However, if I tell it I want it 100%, it is now prepared to print it right on mine, your results may vary.

Back