cord measure of unstacked wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a face and a quarter thrown in...All cut 2 foot:cheers:

0316081137a.jpg

Mathematically, I think that somewhere in-between ant's 195 cf and STLfirewood's 232 cf sounds right. I think that I'm going to have to stack one and then toss it in to find out the ratio for sure, but I think that a 5x10 dump trailer with 4' sides with a little mound is probably what I will end up with. Thanks a lot for all of your input.

Your right it is 128 stacked. But if you read the post the man wants to know about a LOOSE cord meaning thrown in. My figure for that is 232. I have a 14x7 dump trailer with 4ft sides. For me to get a little over 2 true cords I stack the back row and throw in the rest. That gie me a bit over 2 cords with a mounding it a little. But like the origional topic said LOOSE

Scott

Ok I understand that but it's so "open to interpretation" that I wonder why anyone would ever buy wood that way? I suppose as a way of estimating it might be valuable, and for the seller. My buddy has a small F350 dump truck that he fills as a cord load off a conveyor. We took a stacked cord and threw it in then used that as the "prototype" measure. :cheers:

A loose thrown cord is going to differ based on the length of the wood. 24" wood will take up more loose volume than 16" wood for the same stacked volume. For loose thrown (or conveyored in my case) I go with 190 cubic feet. I have never had anyone complain about getting shorted and that's the way it should be.

There is a lot of variable's to consider.
The only way to have a good educated guess is to load it, dump it, stack it 3 or 4 times and take an average.
I'm loading a 16' x 8' gooseneck with 4' 6" sideboards, I loose just a little area from the 1 3/4" sideboards being on the inside of the stake's. After 6 loads the buyer and I settled on an average of 196 cu ft per cord. That's 16" wood loaded with a conveyor, your results may varry.

Andy

Take good care of this guy

I just bought a cord from a farmer that he had stacked 4x4x12 and that is a full cord he said and i said it was 4x4x8 .
he said that he has been cutting and selling for years and I was wrong.
oh well ....
if I have to buy an oversized cord for less than others so be it.
the odd thing was he only takes payment in grocery items and after he loads the wood with his wife and 2 kids and I stay in the truck as by his rules he then gives me a list of food and I am to return it to him by the end of the day .
buy the way I had a truck with 30 inch sides and a trailer that was 5 wide and 10 long with 36 inch sides all heaping when I left.
very weird wood guy .

You should buy a policy on this man and his whole family :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back