Corkscrew Willow Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regholdsworth

Reaction score
Have a question based on the photo below. My neighbor has just planted a line of Corkscrew Willows (see photo below). All he did was take some very large branches from a tree he'd trimmed elsewhere and stuck them in the ground (will they really root from such a large cutting). There are 10 of them and only 3 feet apart. Is it possible to cultivate these as a hedgerow or are each of these about to start growing as individual trees that will grow 30 or so feet high and 20 feet wide from what I've read. The ones at bottom of photo are only a few feet from my house and I've read they develop large root systems so are my foundations in danger too? Similarly the sewer pipe is only about 8 feet away and they are supposed to grow towards water?

Besides the fact they are also so close to my plot line is this really a bad idea my neighbor has come up with? It doesn't feel good to me and so why I thought I'd ask an expert so I can advise him as a discussion without getting into an argument fueled by my feelings!

Click on thumbnail for full version and thanks!

corkscrew willows typically don't grow mega large, with consistent pruning it could be kept to a smaller size. I'm not sure about the aggressive root system. The larger weeping willow or other types might be what you're thinking of as dominators. Have to say I've never seen a corkscrew used as a hedge but as long as he keeps on the pruning it might be okay, just let him know there be lots of it needed.

They will grow from branches. I stuck a few 10 ft long cuttings in the ground and they rooted. One time we cut a large willow and left the logs on the ground, the logs started growing! Really a tough tree. I have the original one about 30 -40 feet tall now, every few years I go up in it and cut it back. A florist friend loves the cuttings.

Have a question based on the photo below. My neighbor has just planted a line of Corkscrew Willows (see photo below). All he did was take some very large branches from a tree he'd trimmed elsewhere and stuck them in the ground (will they really root from such a large cutting). There are 10 of them and only 3 feet apart. Is it possible to cultivate these as a hedgerow or are each of these about to start growing as individual trees that will grow 30 or so feet high and 20 feet wide from what I've read. The ones at bottom of photo are only a few feet from my house and I've read they develop large root systems so are my foundations in danger too? Similarly the sewer pipe is only about 8 feet away and they are supposed to grow towards water?

Besides the fact they are also so close to my plot line is this really a bad idea my neighbor has come up with? It doesn't feel good to me and so why I thought I'd ask an expert so I can advise him as a discussion without getting into an argument fueled by my feelings!

Click on thumbnail for full version and thanks!

Those are babies, they will only grow about 3 feet a year, and only if they get lots of water.

Well they don't seem small being that they are starting out at between 12 and 20 feet "babies". Just find them a bit invasive and they've only just gone in the ground

Well they don't seem small being that they are starting out at between 12 and 20 feet "babies". Just find them a bit invasive and they've only just gone in the ground

They look a lot bigger in this picture. Here is what mine look like after about 6-12 years, hope this is helpful.

They look a lot bigger in this picture. Here is what mine look like after about 6-12 years, hope this is helpful.

Yep they are pretty big and i just paid good money to remove an ivy infested tree next to the house that was already causing my insurance company to warn me about...hence my caution here.

Thanks for the info, so from your photos they grow more vertical than sideways then or do you prune yours to grow that way?

Does the neighbor not like you or something? Those are pretty close to the fence. They get as wide as they do tall around here and are always full of dead branches and brittle as can be. If he won't move them back into his yard a little more be prepared to keep them pruned back to the fence line all the time.
They will make a nice screen that's for sure and should only get around 30 ft. or so but keep them pruned back to his side so you don't have the mess.

Does the neighbor not like you or something? Those are pretty close to the fence. They get as wide as they do tall around here and are always full of dead branches and brittle as can be. If he won't move them back into his yard a little more be prepared to keep them pruned back to the fence line all the time.
They will make a nice screen that's for sure and should only get around 30 ft. or so but keep them pruned back to his side so you don't have the mess.

That's not the half of it, the plot line is actually 3 feet his side on the fence, he's been told i'm moving the fence as i had removed the tree that was in the way and so he's planted them virtually on the plot line even though i told him to move them when he was planting last weekend...I know this isn't going to be a happy ending!

Here in the PNW they will grow about 20 feet high, and get fairly bushy. Yes, you can take a cutting about as thick as your thumb and stick it in the ground and it will root and grow into another one. You can prune them as hard as you want and they will grow back. I have never seen them cause foundation problems. We had a dozen of them around the barn at the last place I lived.

Ya know....I read a Chineese gardening magazine one time, and it said that softner salt, spread on the ground near the fenceline, keeps the septic tank spirits happy.

I never understood what it was all about untill now.;)

Ingenious those Chineese folks are.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep they are pretty big and i just paid good money to remove an ivy infested tree next to the house that was already causing my insurance company to warn me about...hence my caution here.

Thanks for the info, so from your photos they grow more vertical than sideways then or do you prune yours to grow that way?

They grow vertical mostly, even the oldest one is only maybe 20 feet wide, about 30 feet tall. I have cut the top of it out several times to use the pieces to start new ones. Also they drop lots of little branches all year long. In the fall the leaves are tiny and make nice mulch under the tree. Here is another photo of the biggest one.

I have 3 repeat customers (all in a row on the same street) that planted these a few years ago. One guy started them and the others did just that...planted limbs in the ground. Every year they have me top them back hard trying to keep'em small. The first two times I was able to use my polesaw and pruners. But this year I had to climb up in them.
I wouldn't want them myself. From what I see they grow like weeds. I don't mind theirs though, it puts a few meals on the table here :). When they pay me, they tell me see ya next year :).
I voluntarily leave them a few good branches (when we leave) so they can share with other neighbors, heh heh :).

Hi All
Does anyone know if I can cut branches from a curly willow after one season of growth to use as a wedding wish tree or would they be sturdy enough?

Also how do I dry the branches?

Really interesting and informative discussion on curly willow so far!

Short lived, crazy surface roots, not heat tolerant, brittle wood, and a bad tree to put next to a fence.

Those look asolutely ridiculous, already off to a bad start on multiple levels. Tell you neighbor to get a new hobby because botany isn't his thing :dizzy:

Short lived, crazy surface roots, not heat tolerant, brittle wood, and a bad tree to put next to a fence.

Those look asolutely ridiculous, already off to a bad start on multiple levels. Tell you neighbor to get a new hobby because botany isn't his thing :dizzy:

This thread is 5 years old, those trees are probably 25' tall now.

Latest posts

Back