Cottenwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of that.

I'm burning it right now. Went through about 3 cord of it so far this year. Double that last year and the year before.

Burns hot, and fast, knocks the chill down when it's not really cold out in the spring and fall, which saves the Oak and Locust for Jan-Mar.
Folks burn the hell out of it here, and have forever.

It brings the heat, so burn it!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Cottonwood

Cottonwood seasoned for 18 months burns good in my Locke Warm Morning stove. My hazardous gas monitor has never detected anything resulting from the burning of cottonwood. Go for it.

Cottonwood seasoned for 18 months burns good in my Locke Warm Morning stove. My hazardous gas monitor has never detected anything resulting from the burning of cottonwood. Go for it.

I have a hazardous gas monitor too... My wife... She lets me know when I'm hazardous, and tells me to go away...

I've been burning cottonwood this heating season and have noticed the smoke is more irratating than other types of wood. If I get exposed to the smoke while loading the back of my throat gets irritated, it is different than other wood which I'm used to burning.

Who told you it was poison and what did they base the reasoning on?

If you check some of the BBQ sites you will see warnings not to use GREEN cottonwood for smoking meats due to toxins that may be released. I am not aware of any issue with burning dried wood for heat. Unless you are in a tee-pee, the smoke will be carried up your chimney/flue.

If you check some of the BBQ sites you will see warnings not to use GREEN cottonwood for smoking meats due to toxins that may be released. I am not aware of any issue with burning dried wood for heat. Unless you are in a tee-pee, the smoke will be carried up your chimney/flue.

Did the q site say what was in the wood that was toxic? I had never thought to use cottonwood to smoke with... :msp_confused:

Ridiculous

I was told today that burning cottonwood is toxic and should not be burned. Has any heard this before?
No. Whoever told you this knows nothing about firewood and keeping a building, a shack, a cabin, or a teepee warm by burning cottonwood. That person has also never sat around a campfire either. Pity.:msp_thumbdn:

Back