Cotton Safety Chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronaldo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I found these in some of my FIL's things. They appear to be made from cotton duck or canvas-type material. Does anyone who has been around saws and chaps longer than I know what type of material is sandwiched between the cotton? Would it be kevlar type, long, stringy fibers like we see today in chaps? These would probably be from the 70's-80's era. No nylon in these! Thanks fellas......here are the pics.

Ron

View attachment 246338View attachment 246339View attachment 246340

Those are what we wore in ancient times. There was some kind of batting inside. I don't think Kevlar was invented yet. I never cut mine so I can't really say what was inside.

They soaked up grease and oil quite well. :msp_biggrin:

Those are what we wore in ancient times. There was some kind of batting inside. I don't think Kevlar was invented yet. I never cut mine so I can't really say what was inside.

They soaked up grease and oil quite well. :msp_biggrin:

Didn't they though. After awhile they took a set to them, like a plaster cast.

Yeah, still laughing.

Been a long shift, short on sleep, will fix that pretty soon.

Seriously, if you want to part with them, let me know.

I think my nephew is going to use them when he helps us cut in the fall (too hot now), but I may be better off to just get him some new ones. I will keep you in mind, though. What are your plans for them? If you dont mind me asking.

Ron

I think my nephew is going to use them when he helps us cut in the fall (too hot now), but I may be better off to just get him some new ones. I will keep you in mind, though. What are your plans for them? If you dont mind me asking.

Ron

It's a well known fact you never ask a man what his plans for chaps are.:laugh:

If you want to use chaps, I would highly recommend getting newer Kevlar ones. They are not all that expensive, and they may be the difference between a good laugh and thousands of dollars of medical bills. A very small investment for safety.

Sell those old things to Randy, all they should be for now is nostalgia purposes.

If you want to use chaps, I would highly recommend getting newer Kevlar ones. They are not all that expensive, and they may be the difference between a good laugh and thousands of dollars of medical bills. A very small investment for safety.

Sell those old things to Randy, all they should be for now is nostalgia purposes.

Yes, was thinking the same way. New type of chaps would be better protection.:msp_smile:

Ron

Back