Cottonwood Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in N Idaho and have a large cottonwood tree (5ft dia - approx 100' height) in my yard. This summer it has lost 3 large limbs (6-9" dia. at break-off) from half way to 2/3 up the tree. There are some dead branches in the canopy but these lost limbs were green with no sign of despair (at least to this homeowner). They all fell in calm weather. It gets watered with the lawn. Any ideas as to the trees viabilty and or things to look for to anticipate its demise?
Thanks

I live in N Idaho and have a large cottonwood tree (5ft dia - approx 100' height) in my yard. This summer it has lost 3 large limbs (6-9" dia. at break-off) from half way to 2/3 up the tree. There are some dead branches in the canopy but these lost limbs were green with no sign of despair (at least to this homeowner). They all fell in calm weather. It gets watered with the lawn. Any ideas as to the trees viabilty and or things to look for to anticipate its demise?
Thanks

There could be alot of reasons that , your plants could not get arouse... What about the soil, or what about the fertilizers that you use to grow that plant up... All these things matter a lot.

Cottowood trees when they are that large often have stress from storms or other weather events that will release a branch for no apparent reason. They grow large quickly but are not as hard and stable as some slower growing trees. Too much water can cause failures too as these trees take up a tremendous amount of water. I work on them all the time.

that size of cottonwood and your discription of what's going on would indicate a tree that has reached maturity and starting to become hazordous, so my advice is to remove the tree ASAP. You take it down and not the wind or storm-- large anything especially cottonwoods are very dangerous

Latest posts

Back