COUGH...Breathing smoke when filling my OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lesson learned the hard way: Orient the OWB at installation time so the prevailing winds blow INTO the open door instead of from behind the unit.

Well......I wish I had known this when I installed my OWB. I have mine oriented with the door nearest the woodshed and it seemed like a great idea at the time - but the prevailing winds favor the other side of the OWB and tends to draw the smoke out of the OWB.

I have an old coat and a hood hanging in the garage and I put them on before I tend the OWB. I only load enough wood to get me from morning to night....and night to morning.....so most of the wood is gone when I go to tend the OWB. I open the door to the OWB and then walk away and into the woodshed to get my rake - and the smoke is mostly dissipated in a few seconds. I rake the coals and then throw in new wood and close the door as quickly as I can.

For loading my OWB....I made a cradle that holds approx 8 - 6" x 24" logs....
This volume is typically what my unit uses per load...
I load when there is coals.....the cradle is stationed near the OWB door which reduces the time to load ( no walking back and forth to shed ) = less smoke on me.
The cradle can be moved to adjust for the wind that day.

No, thats what my wife and coworkers say.

Hey jrider I was joking.
Seriously, though, I saw in another thread that you have the P&M Wood Gasification furnace. Very nice! I hear they are excellent. That would also explain why you don't get the smoke smell from loading your owb.

Hey jrider I was joking.
Seriously, though, I saw in another thread that you have the P&M Wood Gasification furnace. Very nice! I hear they are excellent. That would also explain why you don't get the smoke smell from loading your owb.

I also have the door opening toward the prevailing winds so the smoke gets blown away from my direction...would like to think I planned that part but it just happened to be relative to where I wanted my wood pile. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good! BUT, for anyone thinking about getting one, I would suggest they consider the prevailing winds as I'm sure it sucks having it blow in your face.

Back