Could be another reason to own a "Big Boy" saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
A neighbor that lives a couple of blocks away had a huge Silver Maple branch come down in a storm a couple of days ago. He found that the tree was rotted out a 1/2 of the way through the trunk so he decided to hire to have the rest of it taken down by a pro. He knows that I have an OWB and stopped to ask if I might be interested in any of the wood. To be honest soft maple doesn't get me all that excited but some of the smaller stuff works really well and takes very little work to process, so I said I would stop and take a look. I showed up after work today and decided to cut a pickup load before he showed up with his Son to start cleaning up. I have close to a load on the truck when here they pull into the drive with a grappled bobcat and a side dump semi. Pull out their Stihl 290 with a 18 inch bar I believe, and survey the situation. Well I can see that their saw is not going to be much of a match for the big log laying in front of me so I offer to go home and get my Husky 395XP saw with a 36 inch bar on it. Working with the grapple I made very short work of that monster. They were so happy with the time I saved them they offer to load just the bigger logs on the side dump and drop them off at my cutting site in town. Now I don't care what kind of wood it is when it is going to be dropped in my lap I am all in. After the drop was made and the Son was cleaning up the remainder of the brush pile the Dad comes over and thanks me for the help and wants to know if I may be interested in a couple of dead oak trees in his pasture. Um............Let me see........Hes not kidding..............Why yes I would be very much interested in them. He told me they were mine and I could cut them at my convenience. Man I just don't get a lot of oak offered up to me so this is a great day. I might be wrong but I think that the "Big Boy" saw may have worked in my favor in getting these trees. Oh and did I say it is almost as much fun cutting with this bad boy as it is sneaking a peak at their faces while I am doing it. Finally there will be pictures in the near future.

Yes, some pics please! I'd love to see that monster myself. At a tree removal job I just completed, I had the opportunity of lining up a couple more jobs, just by word of mouth. One was from a neighbor who's looking to get a couple trees set on the ground that lives across the street from where I was working. And the other two jobs behind that involved friends of the guy who visited and were watching me drop and cut. It's nice when you're skills with a chainsaw don't go unnoticed.

Yes, some pics please! I'd love to see that monster myself. At a tree removal job I just completed, I had the opportunity of lining up a couple more jobs, just by word of mouth. One was from a neighbor who's looking to get a couple trees set on the ground that lives across the street from where I was working. And the other two jobs behind that involved friends of the guy who visited and were watching me drop and cut. It's nice when you're skills with a chainsaw don't go unnoticed.

Unless the skills are lacking. Not yours of course.

I enjoy working with the big stuff too. Just because it's fun to play with big saws. I think you end up spending a lot of time on those big trunks for the wood you get out of them. The wood grain can be pretty knarly making them a nightmare to split, but noodling is part of the fun. I actually like soft maple. It dries out fast and burns fast, but it gets the house warmed up fast too.

Makes all the difference in the world once you have something to run a three foot bar.

Haven't gotten to it yet, but I got my first outside job coming up, a few mature wild cherry trees on a fence line. I'm doing that one for free for a friend and for the wood, but hopefully word of mouth will get me some paying gigs from it.

395 with 36" bar is not a big boy saw.:p

Unless you're hanging in your saddle 100' off the ground.:rock:

Sorry, can't help myself sometimes.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

395 with 36" bar is not a big boy saw.:p

Unless you're hanging in your saddle 100' off the ground.:rock:

Sorry, can't help myself sometimes.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

Medium offtopic, I am just wondering about this for some time now. Out in your neck of the woods were the old growth redwoods and douglas firs, etc, 10-20 feet diameter, etc. How much is left of that and is being logged, where you would still need like a big mac sp125 or a big gear drive homelite, etc. and like an 8 foot bar? Or is this just real scarce now?

Reason I am asking is most comments I have seen here from loggers indicate stihl 660s and husky 395s are the most common in use today..but I don't know either.

Spent a couple of hours this morning with my nephew cutting and splitting on the Silver Maple tree. Have it pretty much all to size with the exception of the big boy you see in the back. Did start to cut on it and hit something up by the crotch of it that did my chain in big time. Shut it off, looked around and came to the conclusion that this is enough for today. Very nice pile of splits and that is not counting the 4 S-10 pickup loads my nephew got for camping. (2 loads of smaller branches and 2 loads of nice split wood.) For the Speeco splitter owners out there, first time out since fall, backed it up to the pile of rounds and ONE pull and it was running. (Love the Honda motor on them.) Had the camera with me so I snapped a couple of pics for you. Mr HE I didn't mean to insult the pros on the board who use much bigger saws but for me that big Husky is a hand full.100_2924.JPG 100_2923.JPG

I have a Solo 694 and run a 36 inch bar on it. I took down a lot of 36 and 48 inch locust last year with a hyd saw on the skid loader and know have been blocking them up with the Solo it is nice to run the big boy saws but they run threw the gas mix cutting that locust. The blocks are still wet and giving the splitter a work out.

A neighbor that lives a couple of blocks away had a huge Silver Maple branch come down in a storm a couple of days ago. He found that the tree was rotted out a 1/2 of the way through the trunk so he decided to hire to have the rest of it taken down by a pro. He knows that I have an OWB and stopped to ask if I might be interested in any of the wood. To be honest soft maple doesn't get me all that excited but some of the smaller stuff works really well and takes very little work to process, so I said I would stop and take a look. I showed up after work today and decided to cut a pickup load before he showed up with his Son to start cleaning up. I have close to a load on the truck when here they pull into the drive with a grappled bobcat and a side dump semi. Pull out their Stihl 290 with a 18 inch bar I believe, and survey the situation. Well I can see that their saw is not going to be much of a match for the big log laying in front of me so I offer to go home and get my Husky 395XP saw with a 36 inch bar on it. Working with the grapple I made very short work of that monster. They were so happy with the time I saved them they offer to load just the bigger logs on the side dump and drop them off at my cutting site in town. Now I don't care what kind of wood it is when it is going to be dropped in my lap I am all in. After the drop was made and the Son was cleaning up the remainder of the brush pile the Dad comes over and thanks me for the help and wants to know if I may be interested in a couple of dead oak trees in his pasture. Um............Let me see........Hes not kidding..............Why yes I would be very much interested in them. He told me they were mine and I could cut them at my convenience. Man I just don't get a lot of oak offered up to me so this is a great day. I might be wrong but I think that the "Big Boy" saw may have worked in my favor in getting these trees. Oh and did I say it is almost as much fun cutting with this bad boy as it is sneaking a peak at their faces while I am doing it. Finally there will be pictures in the near future.

My big saw was quite a hit at my wedding. MS660 with Ultra mix oil and canola bar oil. Worked great!

I dunno, this is a tuff crowd. Is my 090g with 96" bar a big boy saw? Cut old growth cedar and stumped big fir and maple with it. I use my ported 088 with 36" bar as a pilot saw. Also a Mac 125 with a 50" bar has been a handy little saw a lot of times.

I dunno, this is a tuff crowd. Is my 090g with 96" bar a big boy saw? Cut old growth cedar and stumped big fir and maple with it. I use my ported 088 with 36" bar as a pilot saw. Also a Mac 125 with a 50" bar has been a handy little saw a lot of times.

sure they are..but without pics, it didn't happen! hahahah! Lets see them bruisers and some trophy tree shots!

Well, with a 96" bar, that's gotta be considered a big boy saw. But, your 090G is only 6.47 CI, my DA211 is 10.99 CI. Alass, it only has a 36" bar. I had a Super 77 gear drive with a 42" bar, till some crack head walked off with it. All old pics, but I do have them, so it counts, Joe.

Ratz, after flapping my trap about pics, I can't link to photobucket. I'll have to try later, Joe.

What's your youtube channel again? I like the videos of the 166 and 111s.

I have two 090g's and both have the factory 66mm piston/cylinder. Still no 10 cube though. My youtube channel is sawfun1. Also some stuff with the monster saws was posted on the last PNW GTG.

Latest posts

Back