Good Labor Day weekend for firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My meetings with hardware store owners went well and now I have one who will definitely be buying from me and a couple of interested buyers. as well. After going out for an hour after stocking up my stand, half of the wood was gone. I made 40 bags of wood to get ready for buyers. I also picked up a big load of wood from a house up the street where I plan on getting more before I rent a splitter this week.

Attachments

• 20230903_161705.jpg
    20230903_161705.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230903_183447.jpg
    20230903_183447.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 1
If you're collecting new wood for immediate sale then you obviously aren't selling seasoned wood.
It's dry though. The tree fell in midsummer and it has been getting beamed down on by the sun. Once it is split it will sit for a month or two before it is sent for sale. I will also be making some sort of kiln.

It's dry though. The tree fell in midsummer and it has been getting beamed down on by the sun. Once it is split it will sit for a month or two before it is sent for sale. I will also be making some sort of kiln.
What kind of tree is it?
Sitting in the sun without being blocked and split doesn't do much.
Sounds like local firewood sellers definition of seasoned wood. I won't burn anything in my stove that hasn't had at least a year after splitting. Oak really wants two years.

What kind of tree is it?
Sitting in the sun without being blocked and split doesn't do much.
Sounds like local firewood sellers definition of seasoned wood. I won't burn anything in my stove that hasn't had at least a year after splitting. Oak really wants two years.
White oak.

I wouldn't buy it to burn this year. Maybe a year from now.
I already split up a piece of it last night in my moisture reader read 6%. The place where I keep my wood to dry the wood is laid out on top of a deck of pallets where the sun beams down on it so it will dry

I already split up a piece of it last night in my moisture reader read 6%. The place where I keep my wood to dry the wood is laid out on top of a deck of pallets where the sun beams down on it so it will dry
Guess if your customers are happy with it (and become repeat buyers) that's all that matters.

Was it a dead standing White Oak tree? Then maybe you could be at 6% MC. If it's a live tree that fell a month ago, then I'd highly doubt your reading is real.

Was it a dead standing White Oak tree? Then maybe you could be at 6% MC. If it's a live tree that fell a month ago, then I'd highly doubt your reading is real.
I’m with you, Took down a 3 year old standing dead red oak a few months back. The top exploded when it hit the ground and the hinge broke so it didn’t go where it was planned. That sucker still read 18-22% moisture in the trunk. The outer 2” of it was very punky but it was still holding bark.

I gotta call BS on that. There is NO way White Oak sitting for 1 or 2 months unsplit is at 6%. Split it would take over a year if not two to get that low.

I gotta call BS on that. There is NO way White Oak sitting for 1 or 2 months unsplit is at 6%. Split it would take over a year if not two to get that low.
the outside is 06%. But I cut a cookie out of it and it it read 30%. It will be a while.

Awkward The Office GIF

Latest posts

Back