Could We Identify an Oak Tree with Just a Leaf?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maybar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was 40 miles from the house and sure enough without my camera.

So I told my son, "these guys on the Arborist's site are pretty darn good so let's just take a leaf cluster and give them a bit of a challenge for now".

If this doesn't work out I'll be back at the lease in a few days or weeks and maybe remember to get a pic of the tree trunk and bark.

Anyway, this is an Oak on the western edge of the oaks range for this area approx. 200 miles west of Tulsa. I have Blackjack Oaks where I live so we can rule out Blackjack. My Google research produces mostly advertisements and no close up pics of tree trunk bark to compare it to and provide you information.

In the single leaf pic the leaf is about 3-1/2" long. The cluster is this year's new growth.

We thank you for your support and we'll try to do better next time.

Maybar

I was 40 miles from the house and sure enough without my camera.

So I told my son, "these guys on the Arborist's site are pretty darn good so let's just take a leaf cluster and give them a bit of a challenge for now".

If this doesn't work out I'll be back at the lease in a few days or weeks and maybe remember to get a pic of the tree trunk and bark.

Anyway, this is an Oak on the western edge of the oaks range for this area approx. 200 miles west of Tulsa. I have Blackjack Oaks where I live so we can rule out Blackjack. My Google research produces mostly advertisements and no close up pics of tree trunk bark to compare it to and provide you information.

In the single leaf pic the leaf is about 3-1/2" long. The cluster is this year's new growth.

We thank you for your support and we'll try to do better next time.

Maybar

I'll give it a shot. Pretty sure I am right. Quercus pyrenaica (Pyrenean oak).
Jeff :)

If possible upload some pictures of the bark but it appears to be Quercus stellata, Post Oak or Iron Oak. I didn't think they went quite that far west. You're right, ain't a blackjack.

Jerry

q pyrenaica brand new to me; must be a colifornia thing; from the description not an OK thing. and the leaf of the OK oak is falcate (shovel-shaped) at the base and only has a few irregular lobes. definitely looks like red, while pyrenaica looks white.

but i'm just guessing. :monkey:

Back