Coulda been trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Last Friday I threw some wood down into the basement. After I got done hauling the wood from the back room to my wood storage by the stove, I shut the door to the back room to get the main part of the basement warmed back up faster after having a window open in there for an hour or so.

This morning, as I'm going to the kitchen for some breakfast, I notice the floor's cold on my bare tootsies. Right about then, I realized the door had been closed all weekend, and was still closed. I went downstairs, opened the door, and could see my breath in there. Temp up by the water pipes was still above freezing, but not by much. I get the feeling if I'd left that door closed a while longer, I might have had an indoor pool before much longer.

The wood stove has it back up in the 50s back there a couple hours later, just glad I caught my oops when I did.

One of the things a lot of us have in common is that our lives are not all automatic - the stuff we do and the systems we use require constant manual actions on our part. It is so darn easy to slip up now and then. Just like when I smell that smell that tells me I got caught up reading on AS and forgot to stop the stove down.

The worst is when your on the other side of the house you smell " that " smell almost like a strong burning dust stink and then it hits you. ! " Crap I forgot to close down the stove and it's blazing billy hot !"

Or when your at work and wondering ''Did I shut down the stove when I left'' kinda feeling

You just remined me that I forgot the basement windo open when I lit the stove tonight. Better go close it before it gets cold in the basement.

Back