Couple more pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Nothing special, just a couple more pictures of work last winter. The helicopter is one of Erickson's Air Cranes. The ship was logging with grapples. I had an 18,000 pound first cut (16'6") of a doug fir it picked up with ease. On a good 10 hour day of flying this particular ship can fly over 250,000 board feet.

The other picture is me cutting another decent doug fir. I have many big tree pictures, but finding negatives is becoming a problem. I will search more and take more photos at work.

Tree Sling'r.

Cool pics! Allways interesting to see how the folks on the other side of the country live.
Here, my local stihl dealer says that only tree care companies are buying anything bigger than a 066. There's just not that many really big trees left (here) thats not in a backyard.
-Ralph

Tree Sling'r said:
Nothing special, just a couple more pictures of work last winter. The helicopter is one of Erickson's Air Cranes. The ship was logging with grapples. I had an 18,000 pound first cut (16'6") of a doug fir it picked up with ease. On a good 10 hour day of flying this particular ship can fly over 250,000 board feet.

The other picture is me cutting another decent doug fir. I have many big tree pictures, but finding negatives is becoming a problem. I will search more and take more photos at work.

Tree Sling'r.

about how long does it take to notch and drop a tree like that? what about when you jack them over? nice pic's.....

Like stated in the forum plenty I live in the land of the big sticks. Some get cut, but most are left because they are on Forest Service. I contract (partnership) for a big logger so we usually get a lot of nice timber. Thanks for viewing.

kf_tree said:
about how long does it take to notch and drop a tree like that? what about when you jack them over? nice pic's.....

I have never really timed myself, but not long at all. I would have to guess under five minutes. I run modified saws and really sharp chains. But, it is not always easy, sometimes trees take longer due too jacking or severe wedging up against a creek or road or just to keep a good lead (the lay of your wood). As far as jacking, it depends on the situation. Jacking trees is very time consuming, but for good reason. They are usually the pigs that make us money and lack of effort can result splinters, literally. Ever jacker is different, well for that matter, every tree is different.

Nice pics and what a chopper!

I wonder what it costs to have that bad boy in the air all day?

Great pics-

Ekka, this was quite a few years ago, but a 'normal' size helicopter like a Jet Ranger used to run about $300 per hour. Now I think it's closer to $500 per hour. I'll bet the big Sikorsky Sky Crane cost about $4K per hour! Slinging a heavy load in mountains is no easy task (Dad flew helos mostly in Vietnam) and must be really impressive to watch and hear.

Tree Sling'r- Are you cutting in the pic or just moving the saw around? One hand on the saw and one on the tree while cutting? Just curious- always two hands for this weekend warrior.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Sweet pics, and very sweet old school helmet! Is that a Jackson?

Nice fir...uh that's a bit larger than my largest fir! Quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

No Jeff, I have a few of the last MacDonald T's. I heard a rumor and bought four of them in 1998. I worked with a guy in 1996 over in Salmon River, CA and we doubled jacked (two cutters working together) all day and have a picture of him laying sideway's on a doug fir stump that was 7'5" and over 250 feet tall. Unfortunatly he has the negatives, I have the print, but need to find a flat bed scanner.

SandMan said:
Great pics-

Ekka, this was quite a few years ago, but a 'normal' size helicopter like a Jet Ranger used to run about $300 per hour. Now I think it's closer to $500 per hour. I'll bet the big Sikorsky Sky Crane cost about $4K per hour! Slinging a heavy load in mountains is no easy task (Dad flew helos mostly in Vietnam) and must be really impressive to watch and hear.

Tree Sling'r- Are you cutting in the pic or just moving the saw around? One hand on the saw and one on the tree while cutting? Just curious- always two hands for this weekend warrior.

I don't know how much that ship is for an hour, but with the logging part they would just bid the job at how many board feet the sale is. The rest is up to them. Beleive me they make their money. Maybe on a lift job they would charge by the hour.
And yes I am one handing my saw while sawing - do it quite often - but, only when I am dogged in and the tip is buried in the wood. I use two hands more often than not though.

Ekka....Last time I heard the Sikorsky 64 air crane was about $6thousand an hour to fly. I was told by Swede Stoltz that the best day of scale flown was over 1million bft. This was in prefect conditions and not the normal day. Have you seen the "Elvis"? It's a 64 set up for fire fighting in Australia.

Look at the picture of the air crane. See the clear bubble on the back side of the cockpit, that's where I sat backwards to the pilot when getting to take a 45minute turn in the 64. The pilot handed be a paper bag(to puke in) some ear phones and said belt up! They aborted 2 skids on my ride because of to much weight. The air crane vibrated violently at its 20,000lbs.max lift and they let the load back down and we flew off for another skid. Trying to get just the right weight the air crane can lift is very important. Times money when the 64 is in the air!

Tree Sling'r....this was in Weaverville, Ca. not far from you.

More and more we're getting to cut trees that big - last clear cut logging in the east side of the seattle area was roughly the mid 40's. The runts were left behind, and now look like that tree. Last year we took out a 175 foot tree at my neighbors that was 175 feet tall, and 40" at the base (about 3 feet of the ground) and clear of branches to 80 feet Counted 72 rings, +/- a couple.

Just couldn't turn it into FW (and it's a B???h to split the rounds), so we milled this one and a few others. Most of it is stacked in my barn, and my neighbors barn, and a few other barns, but here's what some of it became. The "green" is Jasco on top of the fir. The rest is cedar (more local trees). The stair stringers are 4x16, and were about 22 feet long before trimming.

That is one nice looking deck and set of steps. I'd like to have that going up to the roof of my one story house, then I'd build a 'telescope' observation deck up there.

Tree Sling'r said:
I have never really timed myself, but not long at all. I would have to guess under five minutes. I run modified saws and really sharp chains. But, it is not always easy, sometimes trees take longer due too jacking or severe wedging up against a creek or road or just to keep a good lead (the lay of your wood). As far as jacking, it depends on the situation. Jacking trees is very time consuming, but for good reason. They are usually the pigs that make us money and lack of effort can result splinters, literally. Ever jacker is different, well for that matter, every tree is different.

Who modifies your saws? Do you have your chians made for you by a known chainbuilder, sharpen them a ertain way yourself or do you mean you just always keep them super sharp?

BostonBull said:
Who modifies your saws? Do you have your chians made for you by a known chainbuilder, sharpen them a ertain way yourself or do you mean you just always keep them super sharp?

I've been getting my saws from Woods' Logging Supply in Washington. They are the right price (MS660 $989 shipped). As far as my chains I run Stihl semi-skip chisel bit, 3/8 .063 gauge on a 32" Oregon Reduced Weight bar. I grind my own with a Silvey Pro-Sharp and adjust my rakers with my Silvey depth gauge grinder. Smooth as silk and as fast as lightning

Back