Couple of 066 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been given a well worn 066 with the jug, piston and exhaust removed. Apparently it was running rough and when the former owner opened it up he found the rings were bound at one spot onto the piston, but the rings were easy to remove. The bore has a light ally rub at that point but no visible or detectable scoring.

Q1) I was planning to, replace the piston and rings and give the bore a very light hone after removing the ally rub and check the compression - does that sound reasonable?.

Q2) I have read about using oven cleaner to remove the ally. I presume the over cleaner can be painted onto the rub point and leave it for a few minutes and then washed off, repeat a couple of times? is that correct?

Q3) In my box of bits there is just one exhaust gasket ie for between the cylinder and the exhaust. In the 066 manual it shows the cylinder, gasket 1, a short flange, gasket 2 and then the exhaust. Are there any models of the 066 that do not use the short flange?

Q4) There is no outside chain rub plate on the Sprocket cover. Is that correct -ie does the sprocket cover sit hard on the bar?

Thanks in advance.

I have been given a well worn 066 with the jug, piston and exhaust removed. Apparently it was running rough and when the former owner opened it up he found the rings were bound at one spot onto the piston, but the rings were easy to remove. The bore has a light ally rub at that point but no visible or detectable scoring.

Q1) I was planning to, replace the piston and rings and give the bore a very light hone after removing the ally rub and check the compression - does that sound reasonable?.

Q2) I have read about using oven cleaner to remove the ally. I presume the over cleaner can be painted onto the rub point and leave it for a few minutes and then washed off, repeat a couple of times? is that correct?

Q3) In my box of bits there is just one exhaust gasket ie for between the cylinder and the exhaust. In the 066 manual it shows the cylinder, gasket 1, a short flange, gasket 2 and then the exhaust. Are there any models of the 066 that do not use the short flange?

Q4) There is no outside chain rub plate on the Sprocket cover. Is that correct -ie does the sprocket cover sit hard on the bar?

Thanks in advance.

Q1) Yes

Q2) I have never used oven cleaner........bought Muriatic aicd, Search Muriatic

Q3) Don't know......but when I installed a new OEM PC kit on 064 I had to use
newer muffler or buy spacer and two gaskets for org. muffler, I used newer type muffler back.

Q3) Yes.

Last edited:
Thanks Trigger-Time much appreciated! :cheers:

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid so can be made up to any strength up the max of strip your nose out with just a faint whiff (38%). That stuff is pretty vicious and I'd be worried about the effect of the full strength stuff on the piston liner. I presume the strength you refered to was something purchasable at a hardware store, which is around 20%?

Thanks again.

Hardware store strength, applied in spots with care using a cotton bud, is fine. You won't affect the Nikersil Plating... it just removes and aluminum coating. Degrease first with any of the "Purple Cleaners", then neutralize any acid afterwards with the same cleaner.

Donlt assum you can just replace the rings without first checking the piston - the skirts will wear.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, very helpful.

The only 066 OEM piston I can seem to get hold of here in Australia has only one ring?? Is that OK? Otherwise I will have to order from the USA.
Thanks again!

I don't believe there's an OEM 066/660 piston ever made that has one ring, even in the Brazilian saws and those are usually only destined for third world markets.

The flange is unnecessary. The parts listing only shows that because there was a transition period between old and new styles of cylinders that used different length mufflers way back in the day.

Latest posts

Back