Couple Stump Grinder Questions For The Pros...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking at building my own stump grinder to run off the PTO on my 30 hp Kubota. I've seen a couple threads on grinders built by other tractor owners (on different forums), and think this will be within my capabilities. I already have some of the steel I'll need, a PTO shaft, etc. My questions revolve around the wheel and teeth used on the grinder. Is there a style / brand of tooth that you would recommend ? I want good performance, but cost is also an issue....... don't want to break the bank when it comes time to replace them (this is under the assumption I have a wheel built to use whichever teeth I desire). The other concern is the wheel itself. Aside from the hydraulics, it looks like the wheel will be the most expensive part. Any chance I might find a used wheel somewhere? Haven't seen any on Ebay. If one were replaced on a pro machine, would it usually beyond occaisonal use? It looks like 26 inches is fairly common for a PTO grinder for my size tractor..... any thoughts? This will not be a machine for commercial use...... just occaisional use , and only used by me. I do realize renting one a few times a year might be reasonable, but I'd really like to have my own. I'm estimating that I can do it (depending on what i come up for a wheel / teeth) in the $1000 - $1500 range.

Thanks

Back