Possibly purchasing used sc252 grinder- couple questions, looking for suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydesdale6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
These machines seem to be in my budget. I have rented much larger machines and realize that this will go slower. But, I have seen some videos where there are several teeth and some where there only 3 teeth. I also hear that green teeth will help. Anybody have suggestions on how to make this smaller machine cut as efficiently as possible? Is this a decent machine? I notice some have a single steering wheel and some have dual. Any explanation or which model is newer? Anything else I should know or look out for with these? Thanks.

I have one ---need to sell it since I dont have time to use it anymore. The single wheel or double wheel makes no difference ! I prefer the single myself. Easier to get around with. They get the job done. Have NO idea what teeth it has on it,--there are a bunch of them around the wheel and looks like they could be turned.
It will make a man out of you after a couple hours fighting it around the stumps!!!!! I have taken out 6'diameter stumps with it and went down 3' to get as many roots as possible since the area was going to be plowed and farmed.

Thanks. It looks like they have made many varieties of this machine. I have now seen one the has 2 steer wheels and they are hydraulic. I have only seen one like that. I also see some say they have auto sweep, where others do not. What is the opinion on auto sweep? Is this a good feature? Also, how many hours are a lot for these. I found a couple with 600 hours and one with 2800. 2800 is a lot of hours for a kholer gas engine.

Mine dont have many hours on it and as far as auto-sweep,---never did figure that out---just another feature that dont work and causes problems for the computer on the machine. You will NEVER make any money with these little units since they are WAY too slow for commercial use. I just use mine for personal use and get by with it for that.

Mine dont have many hours on it and as far as auto-sweep,---never did figure that out---just another feature that dont work and causes problems for the computer on the machine. You will NEVER make any money with these little units since they are WAY too slow for commercial use. I just use mine for personal use and get by with it for that.
Ummmh, you don't know how to use the autosweep, and don't even know what teeth you are using... set up right and with an operator that knows what they are doing a 252 can be plenty profitable.

The teeth are whatever came on it. what makes any difference what they are? either they cut or they dont,---mine do so who cares. AND I wouldnt use auto sweep even if it did work,---which it dont!!

Can a second set of rear tires and wheels be added easily to those that only have two rear tires? Thanks.

Can a second set of rear tires and wheels be added easily to those that only have two rear tires? Thanks.
Always thought of those as the front tires, lol... now I have to remember exactly how they worked. As I recall, the outer wheels came on and off with a spring loaded push and twist slot system, but I don't remember if they actually went over the axle or not. I never ran one that didn't have the extra wheels. Is it possible you are still set up for it and the extra tires just got lost?

Actually, yeah, lol, I should have said front tires. Either way, grinder wheel side. Apparently, they could have been purchased with or without the outer wheels. So, I guess that is the question. Are they all set up for it and you just purchase the outer wheels or is it more complex than that?

Well, I think the grinder wheel side axle is actually the rear, and the steering wheel axle is called front axle - at least on the Vermeer SC362

Once saw a farmer put dual wheels on a tractor by taking a strip of steel, about 12" x 15' or so, and bending it to make a spacer that fit just inside the lip of the rims, and then bolted the outer rim to the inner rim. Worked fine for a big old heavy tractor with a backhoe mounted on it.

If the head moves up and down it needs bushings. If the belts are loose you won't get any work done with it. Your probably going to go over everything if you're going to own it. Renting it.... sucks and that's a different story.

I am not familiar with SC252, but in Vermeer SC362 dual rear wheel outer rim has cylindrical extension as shown below and hub/wheel bearing setup is built in as part of the inner wheel.

Regular long bolts 3/8-16 x 8 1/2"

One outer dual wheel rim & tire, shown from front and back side:
Dual wheels.jpg

One inner wheel with hub & bearings, shown from front and back side:
Dual wheels2.jpg

We use our 222 on occasion but not much anymore. great for getting into tight spots. upgraded to a 25hp Kohler too. The Greenwheel made a big difference in how fast it cuts for a low hp machine.

Latest posts

Back